Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arnolda
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnold A

Veeam Explorer for Active Directory can't open ntds.dit

Post by arnolda »

Hi, my forest consists of 1 root domain, let's call it winroot.com and 7 child domains (child1.winadroot.com, child2, etc..).

I backed up the NTDS and SYSVOL folder in the DC (Win 2012 R2) which is also a GC in winroot.com successfully. I restored the backup files into VBR server. When I try to attach the AD database (ntds.dit) that was backed up earlier in Veeam Explorer for Active Directory, a warning appears saying "The specified database belongs to a read-only domain controller. Some of the object attributes (for example passwords) can not be restored. It is recommended to use database from a writable domain controller" and when I click OK, it opens up a child domain that was removed years ago, e.g : child0.winroot.com and therefore there are no users/computers there. I can't see the winroot.com users and computers on the window and I don't have RODC in our environment.

has anyone experience this ?

Support case id : 03692164
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer for Active Directory can't open ntds.dit

Post by foggy »

Hi Arnold, this behavior seems to be similar to a known issue, where VEAD cannot open backup in case it contains deleted domain data. Please refer to case #03421383 and issue #164308 - after verification, support should be able to provide you with a hotfix for this issue. Also, the fix will be included in one of the future updates. Thanks!
mlp4114
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michelle Phillips

Post by mlp4114 »

Where do I find the resolution to database belongs to a read-only domain controller. Some object attributes (for example passwords) can not be restored.

Please refer to case #03421383 and issue #164308
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

support has the answer to case #03421383 and #164308 - but RODC is something different.

So whatever issue you have: please open a support case and post the case number here for reference. I mean, the name says "read-only" - so I would expect it to be "read-only" - which means "no write" or "no restore" (but actually I'm not sure what and how you are trying to restore)

Best regards,
Hannes