Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcurtiss7492
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Curtiss

Migrating to new server

Post by jcurtiss7492 »

I have just completed (I hope) a B&R 9.5 migration from a Windows 2008 Server to a Windows 2016 Server. I followed the instruction in KB ID:1889 using the Migrate using Configuration Backup. [url]https://www.veeam.com/kb1889

Everything went without error or red flags and honestly, it felt too easy :lol:

I did the config backup (encrypted) and the backup repository is the same path as before (same drive letter). However, my backup copy job to my (2) external HDD's, when I connect the external HDD it uses a different drive letter for the attached drive.

How should I address this?

Are there any other steps I need to do for the migration?

Thank you in advance!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Migrating to new server

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Jeff,

Try to change the external drive letters as it was before the migration, it should help since the paths are the same.

Thanks!
jcurtiss7492
Influencer

Post by jcurtiss7492 »

Thanks for the response Dmitry! I can change the drive letters through Disk Management on Windows Server 2016, however, the change is not permanent. I have (2) external drives I rotate every other day to take off-site. Every time I plug in an external drive, it wants to give it the next letter (which is D:\) and previously it was always (H:\). Can I change something in Veeam to make the path reflect the D:\ drive path?
jcurtiss7492
Influencer

Post by jcurtiss7492 »

Also, for anyone else that comes across this thread, the last step I had to do was to was Rescan the repository. The first backup attempt failed with the error: "Error: Cannot proceed with the job: existing backup meta file '<name of backup job>.vbm' on repository 'Backup Repository 2' is not synchronized with the DB. To resolve this, run repository rescan".

I have a real small environment and the rescan took less than 30 seconds. After that, backups worked fine!
jcurtiss7492
Influencer

Post by jcurtiss7492 »

Can anyone provide some advice? I have (2) external HDD's that I rotate and send a Backup Copy Job to. On the old server, the next drive letter available was H:\. However the new server has different partitioning and always wants to add the newly attached external HDD as drive letter D:\. So everyday I am opening Disk Management to change the letter to H:\. Obviously not ideal.

What is the best way to change this? Currently, I try to change the settings for the backup copy job, but it doesn't seem changing the path is an option. (greyed out)

Do I need to create a new repository, then change the repository in the backup copy job properties and do a rescan? Thanks for any help!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jeff, drive letter shouldn't be an issue - have you tried just letting it work with whatever drive letter is there?