Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
RemoteGuy
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Allen Basom

target timed out

Post by RemoteGuy »

I previously submitted this via the email form on the support page but I got "archived" 2 days later without a resolution.
case number: 03670990

I am a computer tech for a small service and support company. One of my customers is having problems with their veeam for windows backup. At first, it wasn't running on schedule, then we got that fixed. Now the backup job starts on schedule and then gives the following error:

7/17/2019 12:32:52 AM: Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 127.0.0.1:9395

Yesterday the manual run option would work but now even if I press "backup now" it still fails. The target drive is an external Patriot HDD connected via USB and it is recognized by windows and is functioning normally. The customer uses Avast Business Cloudcare for Anti-Virus and Firewall, I added exclusions to both the AV and the Firewall parts of it.

I also tried completely removing veeam from the computer and reinstalling fresh with the same results.

Here are some brief system specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
v. 1903 (OS Build 18362.239)
8GB ram
intel core i3-8130u 2.2GHz
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: target timed out

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Yes, it can happen that support closes cases of the free edition as free edition has only "best effort" support.

Unfortunately it is hard to guess what the reason is. In general, the error message means that it cannot connect to the backup target (configuration issue). I would try to deactivate the antivirus & firewall completely and also try with a different backup device (just give it a USB stick and only backup a few files to it).

Best regards,
Hannes
RemoteGuy
Novice

Post by RemoteGuy »

Thank you for that. I will try those things and let you know.
RemoteGuy
Novice

Post by RemoteGuy »

I disabled the 3rd party a/v and firewall (Avast CloudCare) and ran a manual backup and it completed successfully. I left Avast turned off to make sure it runs as scheduled tonight. In the meantime, what I need to know is what files/folders do I have to create rules for in the firewall? What (if any) programs do I need to make antivirus exclusions for? And what (if any) ports do I need to ensure are open?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

RemoteGuy
Novice

Post by RemoteGuy »

Thank you very much. I appreciate the rapid response.
RemoteGuy
Novice

Post by RemoteGuy » 1 person likes this post

I added the exclusions to the antivirus policy today and everything worked as it was supposed to. You can close the thread now.