Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
elitelux
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Wright

Use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service in modern authentication method

Post by elitelux »

How can I use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service if I set modern authentication method?

I have problem with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service.

I added an organization in modern authentication method and this not allowed me to login with just username and password, so I had to log in with Microsoft Graph Api.

But this means that I will not get a token for Veeam Rest Api since I can only get it when I login with username and password through Veeam token endpoint.

Is there any way to sync authentication between Microsoft Graph Api and Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service?

Hope someone give me a solution

Thanks
Stephen
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Re: Use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service in modern authentication method

Post by benyoung » 2 people like this post

Hey Stephen - If i read that correctly you are trying to make use of the Restful API services for Office365 by performing some actions against an organisation that was setup on your server with Modern authentication?

When you perform a logon to the token endpoint you need to use credentials local to the server/domain that your VBO server is located (not an organisations you are backing up's account details). This account can be a domain account or local account but either way it needs to be in the local administrators group on your VBO server. This will return the token and as there is no concept yet in the product of roles the account can perform any action against the server.

Once you have the token you can then look up the organisation (passing the token in the header) using the /organizations endpoint and then dive further into what you were trying to do with the API
elitelux
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Wright

Re: Use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Restful Service in modern authentication method

Post by elitelux »

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your reply. This was really helpful, I still need some more test, but I was able to login. Thanks!