Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
edanto
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eoin Ryan

Endpoint backup job has stopped working - timeout

Post by edanto »

Support - Case # 03697056

I'm backing up a Win 10 laptop to a local NAS. This has been working fine. About 2 months ago, I took the NAS offline, but it is back online now in the same LAN (in a new house). All LAN details are identical, my router moved to the new house. Another detail (which may be a red herring) is that the free disk space on the Win 10 laptop is low, only about 15GB free on a 236GB drive.

What is different in the new house is that the endpoint backup job will not successfully complete.
At the "Performing backup files health check" stage (when the overall job is at 99% complete), things slow drastically. It might take two hours or so for the backup file health check to get to 20% and then the agent crashes out. The job details tab says "Agent failed to process method {Signature.FullRecheckBackup}".

Googling that error leads to this blog - https://itblog.ldlnet.net/index.php/201 ... tion-tool/ where the blogger concluded that he had a faulty or corrupt full backup file, which he then deleted and was able to get things working again.

Am I heading in the right direction? Any tips on how to find/check/delete the suspect full backup file? I'll try to use the command line tool in the blog post above...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Endpoint backup job has stopped working - timeout

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forum.

you mention "NAS" and "months offline"... this makes it to an "expected event" for me. You have large incremental backups now. Now you have large merges and health check and the performance of the NAS system is just not good enough. There might be additional issues in the network (less bandwidth, higher latency). Please understand that the forum does not replace support - they might find out other things. I'm just guessing from my experience.

I would recommend to go with active full backup. It costs some bandwidth but avoids merges.

Health check (storage level corruption guard) configuration is in storage -> advanced -> maintenance

Best regards,
Hannes
edanto
Novice

Post by edanto »

Thanks for the advice.

I've had Active Full backups selected in this job, but it was on a monthly frequency so I've changed it to be weekly (today) and did the same with Health Check. Running a test job now.

I'd be surprised if NAS performance was an issue; but I think I can monitor NIC/disk activity through the management portal so I'll check it out.

Will similarly test performance over a wired connection to remove WiFi as a factor.
edanto
Novice

Post by edanto »

SOLVED

Adjusting the schedule of Active Fulls to force one into the test backup yesterday seems to have done the trick. Backup has completed now.

Thanks for the help!