Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
afarz
Novice
Liked: never

Unable to Collapse Restore Snapshots

Post by afarz »

Recently, a client had a SAN crash and we had to restore from backups. Everything restored normally. However, we have two VMs where the Veeam Restore snapshot didn’t clear up. We’re also unable to do backups on these two VMs either.

We have the Veeam Restore Snapshot and then a Veeam Backup Temporary Snapshot nested inside of that. After everything was restored, backups resumed which is where that temp backup snapshot came from. I assume since the restore snapshot wasn’t able to collapse, once the backup ran and created a backup snapshot, it wasn’t able to collapse that either. When we try to manually delete all snapshots, we get the following error: A general system error occurred: vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault

We found and tried the following options online but with little success:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/581713

https://getsysadminblog.com/2017/04/21/ ... in-vmware/

My primary concern, beyond the obvious that these VMs have snapshots and aren’t able to be backed up at the moment, is that I don’t want to lose whatever changes there are in the deltas. I’d like to be able to collapse the snapshots properly.

The system is working on the latest rev of ESXi 5.5. We had a plan to migrate them to 6.5/7 before the SAN crashed. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Unable to Collapse Restore Snapshots

Post by PetrM »

Hi Afarz,

I'd recommend to open the case with VMware support team so that they can explain the cause of "vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault" error which appears when you try "Delete All" snapshots and to answer the question about proper snapshots removing.

Have a nice day!