Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Asahi
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

Veeam minimum resource requirements

Post by Asahi »

Hi Team,

I want someone to help me with the minimum requirements for Veeam resources.
In our customer environment that is well below the minimum requirements of Veeam, the merge process is greatly delayed.
*Especially memory resources are insufficient.

However, the CPU and memory usage of the Veeam server and repository server during merge processing is about 60%.
It does not stick near 100%.
Disk I / O is also fast with no problems.

Although there is a margin in the current resource situation, is there a possibility that merge processing time can be improved by adding memory?
Also, is there a possibility that Veeam processing will slow down if it is significantly below the minimum Veeam resource requirements?

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam minimum resource requirements

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
in most cases the repository (disk I/O) is the reason for slow merges. Please double check that with diskspd https://www.veeam.com/kb2014

Requirements are described in the user guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Recommendations (a little bit higher) are in the best practice guide
is there a possibility that merge processing time can be improved by adding memory?
usually not. See my first sentence. It's almost always the disk IO. What kind of storage are you using? How many disks? How much data? What time does it take to merge? Which backup mode do you use?
Also, is there a possibility that Veeam processing will slow down if it is significantly below the minimum Veeam resource requirements?
sure :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
Asahi
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

Post by Asahi »

Hello Hannes,

Thank you for reply.

> usually not. See my first sentence. It's almost always the disk IO. What kind of storage are you using?
> How many disks? How much data? What time does it take to merge? Which backup mode do you use?

Our customer are using a CIFS repository.
And Veeam Manager Server is specified as Gateway Server.
The backup mode is Forever Forward Incremental Backup Mode.
And the size of the incremental backup file is less than 30GB, and the merge process takes about 3 to 5 hours.
And due to storage limitations, iSCSI cannot be used.

>> Also, is there a possibility that Veeam processing will slow down if it is significantly below the minimum Veeam resource requirements?
> Sure.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
still sounds like your storage is too slow. How many disks does it have? Which Raid-Level?

Thanks,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

For such as slow storage, you want to avoid any synthetic full backups and use active fulls instead (which is sequential workload). While this means more disk space usage, this storage clearly does not have IOPS you could trade for disk space usage.