Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jround
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam licensing - physical agents

Post by jround »

We have a Veeam Enterprise license

Covering 24 Sockets VMWare vSphere (12 ESX hosts 2 sockets each)

Recently we started to install the Veeam Windows Agent on several of our physical machines managed through Veeam B&R and all was going well until we added in the 5th server and realized you get 6 instances 'free' with the Enterprise license (x1.5 instance per server so that covers 4 agents) then have to buy more

Not a problem I thought looking at this page :-

https://www.veeam.com/agents-windows-linux-pricing.html

£1044 GBP per year x 3 years = £3,132 for an extra 10 instances so we can cover up to 6 more agents

However our reseller has been in touch with Veeam and the price is well into 5 figures, so is the price above based on PER INSTANCE (e.g. x 10 = £31,320 for 3 years) but that seems far too expensive just so we can back up a handful of physical servers?!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam licensing - physical agents

Post by PetrM »

Hello Jround,

Usually on our forums, we discuss feature requests or technical questions related to our products so I'd recommend to contact your local Veeam sales team in order to discuss licenses and prices.

Thanks for understanding!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

@PetrM, we can certainly help out with basic stuff like that :wink:

@jround to protect 5 servers with agents you need a single 10 instances pack, Enterprise Edition. I get prices shown to me in CHF (which is basically 1:1 to USD these days), and it is 792 CHF per year for 3 year subscription, or 2376 CHF total. Which is at least 15 times less than that quote from your reseller.

With your own calculations, I believe you were looking at the Enterprise Plus edition instances pack. This is not correct, as Instances edition should match your Sockets edition (which I understand is Enterprise edition).

I also need to note that I made some assumptions here, such as that your maintenance agreement for sockets is still active and there's no need to renew one as a part of this transaction (as you will not be able to use those instances on a backup server with the expired socket license). But if all that is in order, then you can offer your reseller that their contact at Veeam sales reaches out to me directly in case of further questions - if they keep insisting on the original quote, that is.

Thanks!
BennyDC
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Benny De Cock

[MERGED] What happens with 6 free instances when you buy 10 instances.

Post by BennyDC »

Hi All,

We have socket-based licenses what comes with 6 free instances when you installed Veeam B&R 9.5 U4.
6 weren't enough so we bought t10 extra for the veeam agents. However i only see the 10 i bought and no trace of the 6 free ones.
Do you expirience the same?
jround
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by jround »

Many thanks, we are sorted now :)

Just another question, when we apply the extra 10 instance pack license do we still get to keep our free 6 agent instances that are included as part of the base Enterprise license or do those get wiped out?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, they are not cumulative and are "wiped out", this is documented in the What's New for Update 4:
Upon installing Update 4, all perpetual Socket-based licenses will receive 1 Instance for every licensed Socket,
up to a maximum of 6 Instances, included at no cost — free for life, with technical support included per your
existing maintenance contract. There are no obligations or restrictions, however these added Instances are
not cumulative with additional Instances purchased.
However, keep in mind that with paid licenses you can exceed instance consumption by 5 or 5% (whichever is greater).
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: [MERGED] What happens with 6 free instances when you buy 10 instances.

Post by DGrinev »

BennyDC wrote: Aug 08, 2019 12:37 pm We have socket-based licenses what comes with 6 free instances when you installed Veeam B&R 9.5 U4.
6 weren't enough so we bought t10 extra for the veeam agents. However i only see the 10 i bought and no trace of the 6 free ones.
Do you expirience the same?
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!