Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Haroldthegeek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Harold Harris

Backup Retention Daily to Weekly to Monthly

Post by Haroldthegeek »

Hi,

I'm new to my role as a junior system admin and to backup and retention policies as well as Veeam (Big surprise!) I've been tasked with increasing our retention which with a few changes here and there

have improved our daily backups from 4 days to 10. Now I'm tasked with keeping at minimum a months worth of backups onsite, but I'm not sure I understand the retention policies.

We have a VTL setup with upwards of 10 TB as the second storage box and a total of 5.5 TB of VM data on our veeam's storage box (10 days worth). I'm trying to find out how I can get 7 days worth of backups turned into a weekly full, and weekly turned into a month but still have the ability to search a particular day or restore to a particular day.

is this even possible? Again I'm green foot on this subject and learning as I go, and could be making this more complicated than it really is any advice or info would be appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Retention Daily to Weekly to Monthly

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Harold, since you're after GFS, please take a look at the backup copy jobs or direct backup to tape jobs that allow this sort of retention (so far it is not available in regular backup jobs).
Haroldthegeek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Harold Harris

Re: Backup Retention Daily to Weekly to Monthly

Post by Haroldthegeek »

Thanks for confirming this for me. I've setup up a Virtual Tape Library with GFS weekly that runs after the Regular Daily backups I'll have to wait for it to run it's a full backup this weekend, but it sounds like it should work just fine.