Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tlelache
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas LeLacheur

AWS using standard licenses

Post by tlelache »

I have a couple of questions about backing up to AWS. We currently have Veeam B&R 9.5 U4 and we have been utilizing the forever forward incremental backup method with a 30 day retention. Once a month, we do a backup copy of the full backup to hard drives that we store offsite. We now want to move the backups out of our region, as well. I've been experimenting with the AWS VTL gateway and I now have that up and running. However, in order to save money, my company purchased standard licenses rather than enterprise licenses. That means I have no access to the tiered storage option and I also cannot do a tape backup of my backups, I can only do a file backup to tape. My question would be how can I utilize my AWS VTL gateway server to copy my backups to AWS keeping in mind the limitations of the standard licensing. Also, how would I get around the fact that we don't do full backups? At some point, I imagine have to start a new backup chain as I can't imagine we would just store every backup forever. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Tom
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: AWS using standard licenses

Post by veremin »

In this case the only option you have is:

- Configure AWS gateway in VTL mode
- Add the resulting virtual tape device to backup server
- Configure file to tape jobs to copy required backup files/backup folders
- Point file to tape job to the virtual tape device