Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
videodj
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Stears

Full backups

Post by videodj »

I recently moved to B&R community edition from Veeam Agent on my Windows 2016 box at home. Previously with Agent I would have 1 full backup and 14 incrementals, with a new full backup every 14 days which worked great for my needs. With B&R it seems that a full backup (synthetic) is made every 7 days, plus incrementals, this is taking up twice as much space, which is not ideal. My repository includes 2 discs that are rotated, what's the best way to setup up the backup to result in only 1 full backup per machine, plus incrementals? If I make a full active backup every month, is the original full backup deleted once the new backup is complete?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Full backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there is no "best" when it comes to the question of full backups or not. The FAQ describes pros and cons in the backup modes section.

If you want only one full, then you can use Reverse Incremental or Forever Forward incremental.
If I make a full active backup every month, is the original full backup deleted once the new backup is complete?
This results in two fulls, because the minimum retention must be guaranteed. Please look at the restore point simulator to simulate your scenarios

Best regards,
Hannes
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Full backups

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Dave,

Please review this KB1932 with animated retention methods it should help you better understand how it works. Thanks!