Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Manuel Monteiro
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Nimble DR

Post by Manuel Monteiro »

Hello everyone,

Consider this scenario:
Prodution:
VMWare Cluster
Nimble AF20
Veeam Backup Proxy
StoreOnce
(Veeam Backup Essentials Enterprise Plus)
DR:
VMware Server
Nimble AF20

Can you help me finding out some references of how Veeam can help me orchestrating when a DR situation occurs?
I’ve found Veeam/Nimble integration documentation, but nothing too deep.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Nimble DR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
how do you transfer your data to the DR site? Veeam Replication or Nimble Storage Snapshot asynchronous mirror?

For Veeam Replication, there is nothing special with Nimble or any other storage vendor, because it is storage independent. You might want to look at Veeam Availability Orchestrator for more sophisticated failovers.

If you use an asynchronous storage mirror, you just need to plan how you connect these mirrored volumes to the ESX servers.

Of course, all other DR tasks (like networking etc.) are out of scope of this (well, except you use Re-IP with Veeam Replication).

Best regards,
Hannes
Manuel Monteiro
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Manuel Monteiro »

I'm on a design process. This is not a final production solution.
Since Veeam on Essentials Enterprise Plus has snapshots integration with Nimble, I believe that Veeam will orchestrate the replication process.
Isn't this enough to handle failover and failback situation?

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
okay, then the storage failover itself is a manual process. There is no button in the product for that. Just bring the storage mirror online at the ESXi hosts and you can continue
Isn't this enough to handle failover and failback situation?
well, it depends for what kind of outage you plan. I expected that you are planning the loss of one data center. That means that networking, backup server, VCenter might be also down depending on your design. Depending where you are located, also make sure you have food support in case of DR (really, that's a point people might forget and nobody can work good if he is hungry :-))

Best regards,
Hannes