Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Backup of turned off VMs also SQL

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

I would like to ask you for your experiences/opinion.
I would like to backup some VMs with the same OS (location A) and restore these VMs in second location (location B).

On some VMs is SQL running so I should do the application aware backup to have a consistent backup.

Would it be better if I shut down these servers in the location A -> make backup and restore on location B?
What would be better: to do backup of the powered off SQL server or online with application aware?

Thank you!

Br, Stani
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup of turned off VMs also SQL

Post by PetrM »

Hi Stano! Welcome to our forum! There is no need to power off SQL servers because application-aware image processing provides a possibility to create consistent VM backups.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi PetrM,

thank you for the answer. If the SQL server will be turned off and application aware turned off will be the SQL backup consistent if I restore the VM on another location?
For example if we do not have permissions to do the SQL application aware backup.

Thank you!
mma
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Marcel

Post by mma »

Is this some kind of a migration?

If yes and if you have SQL DB and application on different servers, I would recommend to shut down the servers.
Yes, the SQL backup is application aware and consistent, same for the application server - but the backups don't "match" each other.
There might be a transaction done in the application, which is not done on the DB restore because the backup is five mins older.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi mma,

yes, I would like to use it like "migration".

My concern is that if I turn off the SQL server and also the others that I can not use VSS to run application consistent SQL backup. If the servers would be shut down I can just make a "normal" VM backup.
I didn't test if SQL server is down and VM backup will be done (without app. aware) if after the restore the SQL server will be consistent.
If server will be off app. aware will not work, need I turn off app. aware function in the backup job? thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If the server is shut down, then there's no need for app-aware processing, since no application-specific hot backup steps need to be performed.