Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Hejah
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Mounting backups which includes kvm VM images

Post by Hejah » 2 people like this post

Hallo,
I have a backup which includes the partition with the root fs of the server and VM images which are stored in an lvm thin pool on the server.

If I mount the backup via veeam gui or veeamconfig, the root fs and the root fs of the vm images is mounted in the same folder:

Code: Select all

lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 1M 0 loop
loop1 7:1 0 47.7G 0 loop /mnt/backup
loop2 7:2 0 100G 0 loop
loop3 7:3 0 32G 0 loop
loop4 7:4 0 20G 0 loop /mnt/backup
loop5 7:5 0 20G 0 loop
loop6 7:6 0 8G 0 loop /mnt/backup
with the result that only the files of the last mounted image are accessible (which this is looks to me random).

I think different file systems should not be mounted in the same folder.
The best solution in my opinion would be one sub folder per filesystem.

As a workaround I have enabled backupdisksmountfolder= and mounted the images manually to a differed folder.
But I don't think that this is the intended behaver.

Kind regads
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Mounting backups which includes kvm VM images

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Did I get it right - the server has its own root partition plus a thin volume that contains VM images (which format btw?), and when you mount the backup, not only it mounts the server root filesystem, but also root filesystems of those VMs which images are kept on the server?

Thanks!
Hejah
Influencer

Post by Hejah » 1 person likes this post

Yes,
it is a Proxmox server, the disk images (kvm raw) are stored in a lvm thin pool on the server.
The backup includes the os partitions and all lvm logical volumes (witch are the kvm raw images).

There was Veeam Support Case 03702847 about this, but it was closed because of high Support Team load.

Kind regads
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Kindly open another case and post your case ID, because...well I don't even know where to start...

First and foremost, "closed because of high Support Team load" cannot be counted as a valid response from an engineer.

Secondly, VAL is not supposed to mount VM disk images.

Support will require you to provide logs, so please try to reproduce the issue and collect logs beforehand - that will speed things up.

Thanks!
Hejah
Influencer

Post by Hejah »

Hallo,
the ID of the new Case is #03716835, the veeam_logs_*.tar.gz is attach to the case.

Kind regads