Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rene@aksessikt.no
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rene van Veen

Backup of SQL Always on Cluster

Post by rene@aksessikt.no »

Hi You'll

I've sett up a backup job of a AO SQL cluster. I followed documentation and everything went smooth.
Backup job runs well and backup copy works to.
I get just one warning, doesn't seem dangerous but I don't like unsolved warnings :-)
It says that on my secondary node the job is unable to truncate the logs. I've been searching and found some good post's but non seem to answer my question.
I read it like that it's normal that the secondary node log isn't truncated, no problem but way is it trying? can I exclude it from the secondary node? Are the logs on the secondary node truncated in any way?
My setup is to virtualized windows 2016 servers that run inside a Hyper-V cluster I use SQL 2017 or version nr 14.0.2027.2

I greatly appreciate any comments that sheds some light

Regards Rene
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Backup of SQL Always on Cluster

Post by nmdange »

Are you on the latest patch for Veeam? This was an issue but it should be fixed now, at least I haven't seen any warnings anymore on 9.5 U4b
veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-sql- ... 92-30.html
rene@aksessikt.no
Influencer

Hi thx for your reply. it seems I'm using the latest yhat's not Beta my version is 9.5.4.2866
i think the logical cause for the warning is that the secondary node is read only.
Just checked it again Node 1 my primary is successful.
In the setup I followed VEEAM's manual and it shows up as a Windows Agent Backup
There must be a way to suppress this warning, hope there's a VEEAM engineer monitoring this thread.

Regards Rene
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Rene, are we talking about Basic Availability Groups? Also, you are mentioning "Windows Agent Backup" but you're using Veeam B&R 9.5.4.2866 to backup the SQL cluster, right?
rene@aksessikt.no
Influencer

Yes this is a basic availibilty group with to SQL servers as a member. SQL is installed on a virtualized windows 2016 server that's setup as a 2 server cluster.
I just followed the instructions I found from VEEAM. There it said I had to creat an AD protection group, both servers are part. It automatically installed the windows Agents. And yes I use VEEAM B&R a 6 processor licens
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Seems you're mixing up two products here. You do not need Veeam Agent for Windows in this setup, you can back up these virtual SQL servers using Veeam B&R.
rene@aksessikt.no
Influencer

THX i was afraid I did but it said so in the manual VEEAM made for this and it installed the agents from inside VEEAM B&R it was no choice i made or an installation I did separate.
The manual told med to add an AD protection Group under Physical Cloud Infrastructure. There I added my MS cluster object (that has 2 nodes) When I get to Options it asks me to pic a distribution server and has tagged Install backup agents and auto update. After i said I was happy and clicked apply it installed the agents on my Nodes.
And as i said it works it's just annoying that on my secondary node it gives a warning that it cant purge the SQL logs (which is not possible since they're read only.

BTW this is the KB or Manual I used https://www.veeam.com/kb2463

if you can plz point me to the right KB or documentation so I can correct my error.
Regards Rene
rene@aksessikt.no
Influencer

Hi Foggy.

just found some more articles veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-sql- ... 40892.html
Seems that this a know issue that VEEAM will address in V10 or did I interpret the article wrong?

regards Rene
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The article you're mentioning talks about backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. If you have a virtualized non-shared cluster, you can back it up with Veeam B&R alone, without the need for Agents, and this warning will not be logged.