Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jmertensnetuk
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Jonathan Mertens

Restoring a VM that utilises TPM

Post by jmertensnetuk »

Hi All,

If I backup a VM that utilises TPM (2019 Hyper V and 2019 guest) to encrypt the C: drive of the VM with bitlocker what limitations will this have if I want to use instant recovery or VM restore to a different host.

I am assuming the restored VM server will prompt for the bitlocker password instead of automatically booting into Windows?

This is hypothetical at the moment as the server doesn't exist, but I have been tasked with finding out whether we can backup/restore it
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Restoring a VM that utilises TPM

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

If you are using the Host Guardian Service to hold the vTPM key, you can restore it to any Hyper-V host authorized by the host guardian. Without the HGS you'd have to provide the bitlocker recovery password.

You also lose the ability to do file-level restores. Though it would be really nice if Veeam let you input a Bitlocker recovery password when doing guest file restores on an encrypted VM :)
jmertensnetuk
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Jonathan Mertens

Post by jmertensnetuk »

Hi nmdange ,

Thanks for this information,

This weekend I setup a test server to try out a few things and found that I can't use instant recovery option only full VM restore, should I create a support ticket?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

Yes support should be able to help. If you aren't using the host guardian service, then there may not be a way to do instant vm recovery.