Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DatatoSecure
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: François Picard

Instant VM Recovery - to be a able to cancel an antivirus scan

Post by DatatoSecure »

During Instant VM Recovery, one can choose to scan the restored machine for malware prior to performing the recovery. But this may take a long time, it would be useful if one could cancel the antivirus scan.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Instant VM Recovery - to be a able to cancel an antivirus scan

Post by veremin »

Hmm, but why enable antivirus scan in the first place, if the results of it are not important for you? Thanks!
DatatoSecure
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: François Picard

Post by DatatoSecure »

A possible scenario: one starts a VM recovery, selects to scan the restored machine for malware, grabs a coffee. Soon after you get a phone call from the client, she really needs to access the restored machine as soon as possible. Now it would be a good thing if the antivirus scan could be cancelled.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Still sounds strange to me, as I tend to think about antivirus scan as either necessary or unnecessary thing (sort of binary system):

- I either need that, cause I'm aware that the VM might be infected and I can tolerate the time needed for antivirus scan (which by definition is not a fast process)
- Or I do not need that at all, cause so far there have been 0 infections spotted in my environment

And I cannot find a case where I'm aware of potential infection and but still decide to skip already started antivirus scan (in this case I might as well go and restart restore process)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback provided; much appreciated.
RaymondKN
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raymond Kishen

Post by RaymondKN »

I know this is old, but from my opinion:
I started a restore, and out of being as careful as I can I checked the box for antivirus scan, but 4 hours later, I'm thinking it is still scanning and I need to move on, and technically I have never had issues! so I found this thread looking for a way to cancel the antivirus scan, which I couldn't find a way to do.
My scan did finally stop and the rest of the restore started happening before the 5 hour mark, but I was needing it finished and will probably not scan some of my futre restores, only those I really want to be sure of.
So yes I agree there should be an option for cancel and move on.
Thanks