Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JamesNT
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: James Summerlin

Move all backup files to the new backup repository first

Post by JamesNT »

We have a client we were using a QNap box for onsite backup. The QNap was taken out by a recent thunderstorm because someone thought it was a good idea not to put the QNap on UPS like everything else in the office was (hence why everything else survived).

Anyway, we put a new device in and need to point the onsite backups to the new device. Create a new repository, try to change backup job to new respository and we get this error:

MOVE ALL BACKUP FILES TO THE NEW BACKUP REPOSITORY FIRST.

Yes, I'd be happy to, except the original backup files no longer exist. So, now I have to create a new backup job and try to get all the settings correct again.

It would be nice to have the option to change repositories on a backup job and be given the option to START OVER or something rather than having to create a whole new job.

James
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Move all backup files to the new backup repository first

Post by veremin »

Then, remove obsolete backups from configuration, right-click on them -> Remove from configuration. After that point existing jobs to new repository. Thanks!
JamesNT
Service Provider
Full Name: James Summerlin

Post by JamesNT » 1 person likes this post

Excellent. Thank you.

JamesNT
Paxx
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Paxx »

veremin wrote: Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm Then, remove obsolete backups from configuration, right-click on them -> Remove from configuration. After that point existing jobs to new repository. Thanks!
If your destination is a Veeam Cloud repository, the option "Remove from configuration" isn't available and you can only "Delete from disk".
In this case the solution above can't be applied.
Do you have other another solution for this scenario?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You want to point a job to new repository, while leaving previous backups in place? If so, just clone existing job and point clone to new repository. Thanks!
Paxx
Novice

Post by Paxx »

You can't clone the Job if you have a "Standard Edition".
Paxx
Novice

Post by Paxx » 1 person likes this post

I have opened a case they give me a solution, it looks like some brilliant mind in Veeam have decided to hide this option (and not the "Delete from disk") so you can see only holding the "ctrl" button:

1.Disable Backup.

2. Navigate to Backups>Cloud and select the backup set in question

3. HOLD down CTRL button on your keyboard and right click on the backup set at the same time (DO NOT let GO off ctrl) and Remove from Configuration => This will remove the records of this backup from the list.

After that, you will be able to change the repository for the backup Job to the new Datastore.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This functionality was hidden due to possible issues it might cause, but still can be used with care in cases like yours. Thanks for updating the thread with the resolution!
Paxx
Novice

Post by Paxx »

Imagine the issue that can generate the "Delete from disk" that is still there...
Anyway, I don't see any problem if someone put a couple more of confirmation windows if you want be sure the Admin is aware of what he is doing, instead of hide the option and generate this kind of waste of time (two hour for the internet search + one hour of case management).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Imagine the issue that can generate the "Delete from disk" that is still there...
This would be a clear consequence of the user action. While the issues with the 'Remove from configuration' option were database-related and sort of unexpected. We're going to address those though to bring the option back.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Today I also wasted time trying to point a job to a new repo after having deleted the old backups via "Delete from disk" already.
Veeam just kept telling me to "MOVE ALL BACKUP FILES TO THE NEW BACKUP REPOSITORY FIRST" - but well - the backups were already deleted and gone.
Obviously, I also did not see any "remove backups from configuration" option as there were no more backups under "Disk (Copy)".
The trick I found that solved it for me was to rerun the job to the old repo in order to make it start creating some new backups just until I start seeing those new backups under "Disk (Copy)".
Then I just canceled the job but now the option "remove backups from configuration" appeared (as there were some backups) an I could finally "detach" the job from the old repo and just point it to the new one.