Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
CraigV75
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: CraigV

Assistance with Copy job to Azure

Post by CraigV75 »

Afternoon All,

I've been tasked with documenting how we can use Veeam's backup copy to Azure. Followed a specific, non-Veeam, article on how to do this, and when I look at the Azure Blob storage directory, nothing has been transferred, in spite of the job within Veeam succeeding.
Can someone point me in the right direction to a valid, official Veeam TN/article on how to do this?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Assistance with Copy job to Azure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the backup copy job copies to a "normal" repository. It does not copy to object storage.

You are looking for capacity tier - but please keep in mind that it is a move-to-capacity tier today. Copy is planned for the next version.

Best regards,
Hannes
CraigV75
Influencer

Post by CraigV75 »

Thanks Hannes, so in that case, do I need a duplicate job? or simply target the backup job to Azure via the Capacity Tier? That's in place...but nothing is moving.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Backup or backup copy one? Keep in mind that in the latter case only GFS restore points get transferred to object storage. Thanks!
CraigV75
Influencer

Post by CraigV75 »

OK, sorry maybe I didn't clarify what I want to do properly. Apologies for that.

I want to do the following:

1. Backup to disk locally using Veeam (not an issue, easy to do).
2. Take those backups and stream them off to Azure daily as a secondary storage location.

This second section the part I am currently stuck with. New tech, new ways of doing things etc.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, you cannot do that, cause Capacity Tier only offloads (moves, not copies) old backups to object storage as soon as they fall out of the specified time period. Check the provided link for more information regarding this process.

However, copy mode (the one you're after) will be released as a part of the next product version.

Thanks!
CraigV75
Influencer

Post by CraigV75 »

OK, so that isn't what I was expecting...I'll also check out the capability to replicate VMs to Azure.

When is this release expected?

Thanks veremin.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Please note that we do not currently support replicating VMs to Azure. The upcoming release will be able to replicate VM backups to Azure Blob Storage.

However, we already support direct restore of any backup to Azure VM for a few years now. And I was just talking to a customer who did a production restore last week (after his data center burned down), and he managed to achieve 7.1 Gb/s restore speed. Which is much cheaper way to do DR to Azure with reasonable RTO if you ask me, comparing to maintaining replicas VMs there at all times for a disaster that may never happen :D

The next release is expected late this year.
CraigV75
Influencer

Post by CraigV75 »

OK, so my Scale-out Backup Repository isn't working, and I am finding the documentation on the Veeam site difficult to understand.
The idea is to target the backup job to an External Repository which has the B2D and Azure's blob storage. I can browse to it which works. Job is configured to maintain 3 restore points, and my assumption was that the 4th would be retained and the first shipped off to Azure. or am I incorrect in that assumption?

So far I have 7 restore points on disk, and nothing in Azure's blob storage.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Job is configured to maintain 3 restore point
which job? The backup job or the backup copy job? If backup job, which backup mode (reverse incremental, forever forward incremental, forward incremental with active / synthetic full)?

The "move" to capacity tier is to be configured on the scale out repository. If you only have 3 restore points, it will never move anything.

Please see: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 which data will be moved.

Only inactive backup chains can be offloaded (to give a more precise answer I need the answer to my question).

Best regards,
Hannes
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Also if you've configured an External Repository, note that's for bringing backups down FROM object storage to your on-premises infrastructure and not the other way around.

Today if you want to copy backups to Azure you'll need to provision one or more VMs in Azure, attach storage (managed or unmanaged disks), and add the VM(s) as regular repos (Windows or Linux) into VBR. Then you'll use a BCJ to copy to Azure. Please note this does not leverage blob storage so it will be more expensive, but it works. If you want to keep longer term backups there you can enable the long term GFS retention within the GFS, take the Azure repo(s) and put them in a SOBR (do not add your on-premises storage to that SOBR), and enable Capacity Tier to move those long term retention points to Azure Blob.

As has been mentioned, in the next release the ability to copy directly to Azure Blob is coming at which point you will no longer need those "staging" VMs.

Joe
BradleyAmm
Lurker
Full Name: Bradley Amm

Post by BradleyAmm »

HannesK wrote: Aug 21, 2019 11:35 am Hello,
the backup copy job copies to a "normal" repository. It does not copy to object storage.

You are looking for capacity tier - but please keep in mind that it is a move-to-capacity tier today. Copy is planned for the next version.

Best regards,
Hannes
Hi
You said Copy is planned for the next version
Is this in V10 now
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Bradley,

Yes, it is. Please take issue #7 into consideration.

Thanks
BradleyAmm
Lurker
Full Name: Bradley Amm

Post by BradleyAmm »

Thanks

Is their a guide on how to set it up successfully
I have created the Azure Blob as Backup Repository

But cant select it as a destination in Backup Copy (I cant select it as anything even just a straight VM Backup)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Bradley,

Backup copy jobs are not needed. The offloading process is a part of the capacity tier itself, so you should only configure SOBR with capacity tier and point your backup jobs to this SOBR.

Thanks