Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

index has been recently resynchronized and can only be accessed in x hours and x minutes

Post by mcz »

Hello everybody.

Due to some import issues I had to rescan my SOBR which also has a S3 object storage as capacity extent. During rescan it also synced the local archiveindex with the S3 storage (which took more than 20 hours, by the way) and during that time, SOBR offload was of course not possible. Now when the sync process has been finished, SOBR offload was still not possible and printed out a strange message:
index has been recently resynchronized and can only be accessed in x hours and x minutes
Can anybody please explain me what this means, what is the reason for this strange delay? I just don't get it why I should have to wait for some time until the next offload could be done.

Thanks for the clarification!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: index has been recently resynchronized and can only be accessed in x hours and x minutes

Post by veremin »

Hard to say without knowing the steps conducted before and seeing the debug logs. Having support ticket is the recommended troubleshooting step here. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: index has been recently resynchronized and can only be accessed in x hours and x minutes

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

mcz wrote: Aug 22, 2019 7:37 amwhat is the reason for this strange delay
The reason is eventual consistency of S3 object storage (Google this term for more information).
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Thanks Anton, good to know. I'm scratching my head how to ever achive a valid result with eventual consistency but I guess you guys have already figured out how to deal with it...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, we certainly did ;) thus the message you're getting!
mortenmadsen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Morten Madsen

Post by mortenmadsen »

Gostev wrote: Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm The reason is eventual consistency of S3 object storage (Google this term for more information).
I use Azure blob storage (LRS redundancy) and I got a similar message, but data with LRS redundancy does not have the problem with eventual consistency so is that a bug in veeam?

A write request to a storage account that is using LRS happens synchronously. The write operation returns successfully only after the data is written to all three replicas.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... nt-storage
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, most likely we don't or can't detect if LRS is used or not, and thus treat every target as having eventual consistency.