Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
elliott
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Enterprise Manager can't connect over a WAN??

Post by elliott »

Hey guys,

I've been running in to strife trying to set up enerprise manager, and I am beginning to wonder if it is a configuration issue, or a software limitation.

I'm trying to set up enterprise manager as follows:

Enterprise server 10.0.0.100
|
NAT Router 203.100.x.x
|
INTERNET
|
NAT router 184.100.x.x
|
Veeam B&R Client 192.168.100.10

So basically, I'm trying to monitor Veeam installs on a client over the net.

I have port 9392 forwarded on the client-side router, and I can telnet to 9392 from the enterprise server, however when I try to add the client to the enterprise server I get the following:
Connection to "Veeam Backup Service" is not available.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.100.10:9392 (System.Net.Sockets.SocketException)

I set up a test environment on two systems on separate WAN links, set up through generic NAT routers (with and without DMZ set at both ends), and had the same result every time. Frustrated, I wiresharked the enterprise server, and found that the server was initiating communication using the WAN IP, then after a few seconds starts trying to communicate with the LAN IP (192.168.100.10) obviously gets no response, then throws the error after a minute or so of re-trying.

Is this a genuine limitation of the product? Why is it passing the internal IP for communication? Is there a setting somewhere I can change to let the client/server know it is behind a NAT firewall?

Thanks guys :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Enterprise Manager can't connect over a WAN??

Post by Gostev »

elliott wrote:Why is it passing the internal IP for communication?
Well, it attempts to connect to whatever IP address you specify when adding B&R server (or whatever IP address DNS resolves from DNS name). If this address is unreachable, or there is no response (due to network configuration issue) then the connection will fail.
elliott
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by elliott »

I'm adding the FQDN of the remote B&R site, with port forwards set on the remote router for 9392 & 9394.

As mentioned, the enterprise manager resolved the IP correctly, begins communication, then a few seconds later starts trying to read the internal LAN IP of the B&R server.

There is no way the enterprise manager could resolve the FQDN to the internal LAN ip, this information must be being passed from the B&R client...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, then it might be best to open a support case to investigate this closer.
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

Post by leeg123 »

Just installed Enterprise manager 6.1 X64 onto a windows 2008 VM
Trying to connect to a remote site running veeam 6.1 on a windows XP PC.

I have ports 9392-9395 forwarded appropriately on the remote site. All Windows firewall rules verified.
Getting the "connection to 'veeam backup services' is not available" message when trying to add this remote client into veeam enterprise.
I've confirmed on the remote side via the windows security audit log that the enterprise manager is successfully logging into the remote client

I’ve replicated this issue with other remote site, so I can only assume the problem is on the Windows 2008 side which has the enterprise manager installed. The only other caveat is that I successfully setup enterprise manager to point to a local veam installed on our LAN and this does work

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Lee Garet
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Lee, do you also have port 2500 open between the two hosts, as per system requirements?
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

Post by leeg123 »

I didn't have port 2500 forwared on the remote side. I simply missed that in the documentation.
I've since added port 2500 to forward however im still getting the same message 'connection to "veeam backup services" is not available'
I was really hoping to monitor seveal of my small SMB clients backup using this software. Currently im limited to have clients automatically email email the backup jobs. Would love a single pane of view to determine which backup jobs need TLC
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I believe our technical support will be able to help you reviewing your setup via webex session, please contact them directly.
john@cybersquad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John

Post by john@cybersquad »

Have you worked this out in the end?

We are testing BEM as well over WAN and are having all sorts of trouble, had to fall back to VPN, it only seems to work using IPSec VPN.
john@cybersquad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John

Post by john@cybersquad »

I tried the tip from Elliott @ Making Veeam Enterprise Manager work over a WAN link

It works!

Thanks Elliott