Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
SYSADMIT
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Solved error: JetError -550, JET_errDatabaseDirtyShutdown, Database was not shutdown cleanly

Post by SYSADMIT » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Recently, I found that the Veeam repository for O365 has run out of space.

After expanding the disk and having free space, Veeam for O365 did not work and the error appeared:
Failed to load repository: JetError -550, JET_errDatabaseDirtyShutdown, Database was not shutdown cleanly. Recovery must first be run to properly complete database operations for the previous shutdown .. JetError -550, JET_errDatabaseDirtyShutdown, Database was not shutdown cleanly. Recovery must first be run to properly complete database operations for the previous shutdown.
To solve this problem I have published a step-by-step guide.

The guide is Spanish, but you can use the blog google translate gadget to translate into English.

Likewise, only with screenshots is it understood quite well.

Here is the link: https://www.sysadmit.com/2019/08/veeam- ... r-550.html

I hope it can be helpful if someone ever has the same problem.

This problem has also helped me to see that Veeam for O365 uses Microsoft ESE (Extensible Storage Engine) database to save the backed up data.

ESE databases are used by Exchange, Active Directory, etc ...

Xavi.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Solved error: JetError -550, JET_errDatabaseDirtyShutdown, Database was not shutdown cleanly

Post by nielsengelen »

Thanks for sharing and while it worked for you, we do advise to leverage support for JetDB related issues to make sure everything is working correctly afterwards.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Solved error: JetError -550, JET_errDatabaseDirtyShutdown, Database was not shutdown cleanly

Post by Polina »

And to add to Niels's answer, in case of a dirty shutdown it's recommended to first try opening the database with Veeam Explorer. It can help to utilize the existing logs and fix the issue.
SYSADMIT
Influencer

Post by SYSADMIT »

Hi Polina, yes, it's the first thing I tried, open the database with Veeam Explorer, but you can't open it.

Thank you,

Xavi
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Xavi,

I probably have missed it in your article (mea culpa).

Did you also try esentutl /r before repairing the database? In many cases, it helps and also runs much faster than the repair operation.

Thanks!
SYSADMIT
Influencer

Post by SYSADMIT » 1 person likes this post

Hi Polina,

I also tried it with esentutl / r but it didn't work.

In fact I followed the same procedure as if it were an Exchange database (EDB file).

First use Veeam Explorer to rebuild it via transaction logs, then esentutl / r and finally as all the above did not work: esentutl / P.

Thank you,