Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Veeam Essentials limits with instances

Post by Mgamerz »

I previously (pre U4) had Veeam Essentials with 6 sockets and 10 workstation licenses (we were covering 4 workstations). Since U4 has come out, workstation licenses don't exist anymore, and are now instances. I have been talking to my VAR who has been talking to Veeam, but it seems like there is some confusion on veeam's end on how instances actually work for editions. I am planning to change our client backup product (laptops/desktops) to Veeam, and I am hoping to use workstation edition as I want to leverage the synthetic fulls. We have about 51-52 workstations, and it fluctates depending on the season.

In the old way, I would do this:
6 sockets VBR (Enterprise/Essentials)
60 workstation licenses (or w/e the closest equivalent would be)

In the new way... it would be... like this?
6 sockets VBR (Enterprise/Essentials)
30 pack instances (.5x multiplier)

Our VAR is unsure if there are instance limits on the Essentials/VBR/etc tiers of veeam. In the old way, I assume I could still cover workstations just fine, since I could just buy workstation licenses. But with instances it seems like that might have new restrictions. I couldn't find anything on instance limits though. I am not interested in converting our covered VMs to instances because it fluctuates over time and I do not want to deal with the more headache than the instance licensing already is.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam Essentials limits with instances

Post by wishr »

Hi,

You'll require to purchase 6 sockets of B&R Enterprise edition that will allow you to cover your virtual environment + additional 30 instances (3 bundles) to cover the rest 52 machines with workstation edition of Agents (~4 instances will be left unused).

Or you may go with B&R Standard edition, but you'll require 60 additional instances for full coverage in this case (you'll have ~8 instances left unused), due to instance conversion rates.

You may refer to those resources for more info:
1. Instance license calculator;
2. Licensing policy (note the conversion table).

Thanks
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Re: Veeam Essentials limits with instances

Post by Mgamerz » 1 person likes this post

Cool, thanks for the info.