Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
falkob
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Falko Banaszak

Veeam Backup Validator and Capacity Tiers

Post by falkob »

Hello all,

i got a question regarding the Veeam Backup Validator tool in combination with Capacity Tiers.
Right now, the tool is able to verify files out of a SOBR if you provide a single extent from which you want to validate your .vbk or .vbm etc.

So, how about Capacity Tier extents ? Due to the fact, that only metadata is left on the source extents due to "data block extracton", I'm getting errors validating these manually with the Veeam Backup Validator.exe.
The report tells me that the data files i validated are corrupt, probably because of files consisting only of metadata.

Here is a screenshot:

As far as I can see, there is no "backup file validation" in the verification process prior the offload job. The questions and use case now is:
Is the Veeam Backup Validator capable of validating "extracted" backup files? Or will it be capable on doing so ?

I think the use case here is, if I'm going to offload a huge amount of data and hundreds of TB to an object storage, I need to make sure that these files are not corrupt.
The most easy way would be to integrate the Veeam Backup Validation tool in the validation job prior the offloading process. (from my point of view, but I'm not a developer). Will there be anything in V10, maybe or is this intended to function like that ? Also regarding the fact, that If the offload job extracts already corrupt backup data files and you need to restore from Object storage (paying for egress as well) and the restore won't work.

Thank you !
VCP6.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV, VMCE, VMCA, Veeam Vanguard, VMware vExpert
https://www.virtualhome.blog
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Veeam Backup Validator and Capacity Tiers

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, Veeam Backup Validator supports only local backup files. However, if you validate files before they are offloaded to object storage, then you should be good as for upload we use S3 API function that guarantees that blocks land in object storage intact (bit-identical to local backup). Thanks!
falkob
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Falko Banaszak

Re: Veeam Backup Validator and Capacity Tiers

Post by falkob »

Thanks for the information ! That's what I thought of.
VCP6.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV, VMCE, VMCA, Veeam Vanguard, VMware vExpert
https://www.virtualhome.blog