Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
stillwaterman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Igor(Gary)

need recover VMs by Veeam after recovered OS C: drive from 1 month ago backup by Acronis

Post by stillwaterman »

Hello!
I have Hyper-V Windows Server 2016 (GUI) Server.
Server restarted unexpectedly due hardware fault.
Hardware was fixed after thet fault.
OS Windows Server 2016.
Roles: Hyper-V (no replicas, clusters etc.)
I already have Veeam backed up VMs (Domain Controller, Exchange, Skype for Business) before server was restarted.

I want to recover (at 1-st) OS C: drive to previous working state (1 month ago image backup) by using Acronis boot CD (from .tib image)
THEN
(at 2-nd) recover VMs to state immediately before server fault by Veeam (2 days ago).

Disk with Veeam backups is Z: drive and I am not planning to recover this Z: drive from Acronis image (only C: drive)
Now I don't recover yet Server from Acronis OS image and I can prepare Server for future recover (at this weekend).

I think I will have problems with Veeam Veeam recovery because Veeam possible will be in inconsistent state.
I mean I will have old(recovered) C: drive with Veeam files and the latest (not recovered by Acronis) Z: Veeam's backup drive.
Can You give me advise?
How can I prepare for recovering by Veeam?
What I have to do?

Thanks a lot!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: need recover VMs by Veeam after recovered OS C: drive from 1 month ago backup by Acronis

Post by PetrM »

Hello Igor!

Welcome to our community forum!

I'd take into account the state of Veeam database which would be quiet outdated (1 month ago) after you recover the host if the database was on C: drive.
In this case restore from configuration backup might be helpful.

If you don't backup configuration you can just rescan repository (Z: drive) to update the list of available backup files in the configuration database.

Thanks!
stillwaterman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Igor(Gary)

Re: need recover VMs by Veeam after recovered OS C: drive from 1 month ago backup by Acronis

Post by stillwaterman »

Thanks!
I am going to read those articles!
Igor