Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

Media failure - WinRE component missing

Post by janezk »

Hi,

When I tried to create the recovery media I got this pop up saying:
Windows Component Missing
Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) component is missing. Specify the location
of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 instalation files ( you may need to insert your
Windows instalation media). Alternatively, download and install Windows ADK.

Windows installation media path:
I provided Win instalaltion media as requested and Veeam recovery media creation finished sucessfully.

Then when I started the boot for bare metal recovery, after a while I got an error:
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID
{91CC5B9C-EB33-4621-99E3-78BE7FE1FCA3} failed due to the following
error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT:
0x80040154 (REFDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
Then I copied winre.wim to C:\windows\system32\recovery and VAW created the recovery media without any problems, and I also made a sucessfull bare metal restore - migration from a HDD to a new SSD.
For reference for those who like to knoe more:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -reference
http://woshub.com/restoring-windows-rec ... indows-10/

using WAV ver 2.0

posted this if any one encounters the same problem and for development folks, so that you can make this product even better than it is already...
Keep up the good work.

some background story:
I "lost" WinRe when I manually deleted the recovery partition, as it gave me problems during backup. Also when moving from large HDD to smaller SSD you have to override certain probems ( unmovable files,...), but this is another (huge) topic, not to be discussed here...

BR Janez
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Media failure - WinRE component missing

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Janez.

Thank you for sharing you issue and proposing a solution. I'll ask the dev team to review your post. Cheers!
cmit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: cmit

Post by cmit »

Has the Veeam dev team review this post yet?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello cmit.

Yes this post was reviewed by our dev team but we decided to rely on installation media or ADK when some rquired components are missing (to make sure that component version matches the OS). May I ask why you are interested in this issue? Are you having the same problem? Thank you.
Kana
Lurker
Full Name: Franck

Post by Kana »

Hi,

Sry but i have the same pb on one workstation and i can't restore Winre, I try to follow this https://www.veeam.com/kb2685
but no succes...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Franck,

Can you please elaborate what error you got while creating Recovery Media without ADK and what problems you faced while installing the ADK? Thank you in advance.
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

[merged] Media failure - WinRE component missing

Post by daystrom »

I've read many posts here about this, and have tried the windows 7 pro dvd, and what seems to be the closes to an ADK for windows 7, the AIK. Nothing helps. I'm afraid it means that I won't be able to recover from backup if I need to. Any suggestions?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I merged it do the exiting thread. You already tried https://www.veeam.com/kb2685

Best regards,
Hannes
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

Thanks again Hannes, I had not found this page in the veeam docs, and because it does outline the steps for windows 7, it does have detail that I was unsure of. Will give it a shot.
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

I created the first registry key by adding new DWORD (32 bit) value, applying the name ForceUseAdkForRecoveryMedia, and setting the value to hex 1. It still fails with
Mounting Recovery Environment image (fail)
Unmounting recovery image (success)
Failed to delete recovery media's temp files from c:\users\...
Unmounting recovery image (success)
Failed to delete recovery media's temp files from c:\users\...
Failed to create recovery media: The system cannot find the path specified

The second step of the doc you pointed to deals with the path to the DISM tool, if the path was changed from the default at AIK. I didn't change the path, but I tried to follow the guidance anyways. I can't because while there are clearly labeled folders under Windows Kits, there is no entry for windows 7. There is NETFXSDK; is that for windows 7? But since I didn't change the default path for AIK, I don't think this will help anyways.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

as I remember from the other post, you have a central VBR server. Did you try creating the recovery media there? (inventory -> your pc -> right click -> agent -> create recovery media)

If this also does not work, I suggest contacting support. Please post the case number here for reference
daystrom
Expert

Post by daystrom »

This machine is standalone as far as veeam is concerned. I will open a case with support. Thanks for your help!
ihebson@europait.net
Lurker
Full Name: ian hebson

Post by ihebson@europait.net »

I just got this error on a win 10 pro computer using a standard domain user account. I was able to create the recovery image fine from an administrator user account. I'm guessing non-administrators don't have access to WinRE which is fine but that error message is so misleading that I almost went on a massive troubleshooting expedition.
Aether
Lurker

Post by Aether »

Well, I am sick and tired of the solution that VEEAM has published. There is a root cause and it took a small amount of thinking to figure it out.

Almost everyone who has this "WinRE component missing" has had a significant Windows build change, most likely via a service pack or major cumulative update. During the process, Windows reboots several times and also creates a new Recovery partition. The old recovery partition will still exist, but with no WinRE component. The new Recovery partition is usually the last partition on the drive. VEEAM will not detect it nor will it backup this partition even if you do a full volume backup.

The solution is to do the following. There is no need to install any Kits or SDKs or anything else. Follow the steps in the link below to restore WinRE.wim with your Windows install media.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ask ... indows-10/
kcr
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ken Russell

Post by kcr » 1 person likes this post

Thanks very much for your post and the link to the very comprehensive tutorial. This allowed me to recreate a deleted Windows 10 Recovery partition and solve the problem I was having with creating Veeam recovery media. I found lots of web pages suggesting the only fix was a Windows re-install, and that was the only page I found with an alternative solution that actually worked!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the confirmation! For all new comers - Veeam Agent for Windows v4 is literary around the corner and it contains all the required fixes. Cheers!