RESTful knowledge exchange
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

API Query for AgentRestorePoints

Post by infraerik »

Hi there,

Just wondering if there's any way to query the API for either generic restore points or specifically AgentRestorePoints in the same way you can with VmRestorePoints. I just observed that in my reports, Agents are not being found.

This works perfectly for my regular VM backups:
$response = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "http://xxx:9399/api/query?type=VmRestor ... eationTime" -Method "GET" -Headers @{"X-RestSvcSessionId" = $sessionId }

But if I use AgentRestorePoint, it errors on the filter of VmName and it doesn't recognize AgentName as a valid filter criteria either. The documentation is unclear on what attributes are available for any given object for filtering purposes (although that may just be me missing something)
infraerik
Enthusiast

Re: API Query for AgentRestorePoints

Post by infraerik »

Whoops - for readability, here's the extracted request string:

api/query?type=VmRestorePoint&filter=VmName==$server&format=entities&sortDesc=CreationTime
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe this is not available due to these reasons > Agent Jobs Via API
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

I think that may have been changed in an update since that discussion since I *can* extract AgentRestorePoints en masse via the API and according to the documentation (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4) AgentRestorePoints are listed in the Query API as being valid resources to request via this API. There's now an endpoint at api/agents/jobs.

But there's absolutely nothing in the documentation concerning what attributes can be used for filtering for any of the ressources available via the Query interface. Even the VMName filter that I use for regular VM Backups was found by trawling through the forums.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

The following parameters are supported as querying filters for agent restore points:

Code: Select all

"Uid";
  "Name";
  "CreationTime";
  "ComputerName";
  "Type";
  "Algorithm";
  "RestorePointId";
  "RestorePointName";
  "BackupUid";
  "BackupName";
  "BackupServerUid";
  "BackupServerName";
  "BackupFileUid";
  "BackupFileName";
Thanks!
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

Thanks ! That’s really useful information.

Any chance we could see updates to the documentation to include this information for each of the queryable objects?
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

OK - now onto the next related problem. When I use the ComputerName for filtering, it works as long as the computer in question was registered via it's hostname, but if I have an agent registered using it's FQDN, I get this error when trying to search:

Code: Select all

Invoke-WebRequest : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Error Message="Malformed expression string:
ComputerName==xxx.yyy.zzz.local" StatusCode="400" xmlns="http://www.veeam.com/ent/v1.0"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"/>
At reporting_functions.ps1:432 char:17
+ ... $response = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $uri -Method "GET" -Headers @{"X-R ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-WebRequest], WebException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand
I've tried URI encoding the FQDN with %2E, but I'm still getting the same errors. Outside of going back and unregistering all of the agents and reregistering them using just the hostname, is there an encoding that the API will accept for querying agents by their full name?
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Post by benyoung »

If i recall, you can wrap the VmName in quotes, i.e

/api/query?type=VmRestorePoint&filter=VmName=="xxx.yyy.zzz.local"&format=entities&sortDesc=CreationTime

I dont have any servers with that type of hostname data but can replicate the malformed error, goes away if i wrap it in quotes (and returns the same result for servers i have without FQDN if quotes are there or not)
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

Good timing, I had just figured that trick with the quotes about 30 minutes before seeing your reply. Next step: trying to figure out why the syntax I use for extracting date from the most recent restorepoint that I use for VMRestorePoints doesn't seem to work on the AgentRestorePoints...

$lastbackup = ([datetime]([xml]$response.Content).QueryResult.Entities.AgentRestorePoints.AgentRestorePoint.CreationTimeUTC[0]).ToLocalTime()

vs

$lastbackup = ([datetime]([xml]$response.Content).QueryResult.Entities.VmRestorePoints.VmRestorePoint.CreationTimeUTC[0]).ToLocalTime()

But at least I'm getting data back from the API now.

Side note for dealing with the problem that my input list for servers to check comes as a hostname, my current workaround is to pull out all of the api/agents/discoveredComputers and build a hash out of the value keyed on the hostname part of the name with the value of whatever is used, whether it's an FQDN or a hostname.
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

Huh - and now it works this morning. Go figure.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

infraerik wrote: Sep 02, 2019 6:16 amAny chance we could see updates to the documentation to include this information for each of the queryable objects?
Actually, we already have this information in User Guide. You can find it here. Thanks!
infraerik
Enthusiast

Post by infraerik »

@veremin, Uhhh, the list you presented earlier in the thread does not match up with the list of attributes noted on the documentation page. The documentation page makes reference to VMDisplayName rather than ComputerName...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it, will correct the documentation soon (already notified tech writing team). Thanks!