Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
MrBeeee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brendon

Surebackup boot problem

Post by MrBeeee »

Hi

I do have a case open with veeam (case # 03683081)

Our vm gives the following error when running the surebackup in our lab:

"Microsoft Hyper-V UEFI Virtual Boot Summary No Boot Devices were found no operating system was loaded your virtual machine maybe configured incorrectly.Exit and re-configure or click restart to retry the current boot sequence again".

I have tested the vm by doing an Instant Recovery to a different Host with the same error but when i change the boot sequence to hard disk and reboot it boots up fine while in Instant Recovery.

I have discovered that the problem might be related to the bootmgfw.efi file when it is set as first in the firmware boot sequence for the Instant Recovery i get the error ,so on our production vm i changed the firmware boot order to boot from hard disk first in Hyper-V and made an full and incremental backup of it, ran those backups as surebackups but still the same error , i noted that the VBR does not see the change on the production vm that was made for the firmware boot order.I have also shutdown our production vm and started it up successful in production after the change, re-ran another Active full to start as a Surebackup.

The only prior change before this problem started was that secure boot was disabled and afterwards enabled again since then i have been getting this error ,our other vm's some that has secure boot enabled and the bootmgfw.efi file as first boot works 100% in surebackup except this one.

My question is how do i get the surebackup to boot this vm pass this error i am getting ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Surebackup boot problem

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

To narrow it down, I would only try instant VM recovery. If IVMR works, then SureBackup will also work.

Do you have that for all your VMs, or only one VM?
I have tested the vm by doing an Instant Recovery to a different Host with the same error but when i change the boot sequence to hard disk and reboot it boots up fine while in Instant Recovery.
This manual boot sequence change must be resolved. As you already found out that IVMR does not work, I suggest a full VM restore an check whether the same issue exists. Does IVMR to the same host work?

To save time for testing: one backup is enough.

Best regards,
Hannes
MrBeeee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brendon

Re: Surebackup boot problem

Post by MrBeeee »

Hi

The IR gives the same error as the Surebackup ,i noticed while the surebackup is currently running if i press [ctrl] [alt] [del] on the vm it boots
past the error message and the surebackup is then succesfull so this is an work around im using.

I only have this issue on one of our vm's the rest works 100% .
I have done a full vm restore to our lab server successfully, The IR gave the same error ,so i changed the boot time out settings on the vm itself
made a backup of the restored vm with the changes applied started IR and Surebackup both were successful as i read an article on the web regarding a similar problem where you had change the boot time out settings.

I re-applied the steps taken on the production server rebooted it made a new backup of it then tried the surebackup again
it gave the same error, so my solution did not work.

I will be back at work by Wednesday to test some other ideas regarding this issue.
Thanks i will setup another host for testing .