Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dan.kennedy
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Kennedy

Restoring data with MFA enabled user

Post by dan.kennedy »

I keep getting "connection failed" when trying to restore data for a tenant that has MFA enabled.
I've tried creating an app password specifically for the restore job but it isn't accepted when trying to add a store with the "Veeam Backup for O365 service provider" option.

Tested with another of our tenants who doesn't have MFA enabled and it connected straight away so i'm sure MFA is the issue - maybe I've missed a step somewhere?
Can't find much info online around actually restoring data using an MFA enabled user account - only how to set up the backup jobs themselves.

Any help appreciated.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Restoring data with MFA enabled user

Post by Polina »

Hi Dan,

Are you using the same service account as when adding this organization to the VBO scope?

As per our documentation:
As a service provider, you must obtain Microsoft organization credentials of your tenants. The same credentials will be used by tenants to connect to the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server of a service provider via Veeam Explorers for self-service recovery.
dan.kennedy
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Kennedy

Post by dan.kennedy »

Hi Polina,

It's the same account which is being used to run the backup jobs - the organisation was originally set up with basic authentication using a different global admin account, and was then changed to modern authentication recently...not sure if that makes any difference?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Dan,

If your backup jobs now run under the new MFA-enabled account, there should be no issues with using the same credentials (with an app password) to add the corresponding data store to the Veeam Explorer scope. Please create a support ticket and provide logs to our engineers for investigation. Let us know your case ID to track the progress.

Thanks!