Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
paruccone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alessandro Tiberti

No error but only one third of the data is restored

Post by paruccone »

Hi! I think I need your help to fix a problem:

Config:
- single host, windows 8.1, SCSI controller<->LTO-4 library

I start a file restore from tape. I select a folder to restore and then an alternate location (local disk), overwrite all (but anyway I create a new folder for the restore).
The restore starts, it says it completed. 881.7GB / 881.7GB. Completed Successfully

If I go to the restore directory, it only contains 384GB. I only have one doubt here: the files at the origin were on a NAS (btrfs) and are now being reestored on a local harddrive (NTFS). Could the problem be related to that (for example support for very long paths)? Even so, I'm wondering why I don't get any error when restoring. Am I doing something wrong? If not I imagine I have to open a case.

Unfortunately I can't tell if this is tape-related or not; I apologize in case this is off-topic but this seemed to me the most appropriate group except perhaps "Physical & cloud"

I've also opened Case #03744474 if this can help. let me know if you need more logs/other info.

Thanks!
Alex

PS: feature suggestion; 1) allow to ignore available space. Sometime 95% of the files are already on the destination and we want to retrieve only files that have been accidentally deleted by skipping existing file. This is not possible unless there's enough available space for the complete restore 2) allow multiple selections within the same window when selecting what to restore; now the user is forced to add individually every single directory/file instead of being able to select all and then exclude; this can be time-consuming and frustrating.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: No error but only one third of the data is restored

Post by Dima P. »

Hello paruccone,
The restore starts, it says it completed. 881.7GB / 881.7GB. Completed Successfully If I go to the restore directory, it only contains 384GB.
Unfortunately log analysts is required (maybe it's an issue with the size estimate, maybe some files were skipped during recovery, or maybe original size was reduced by file deletion prior backup ), so please keep working with our support team.
1) allow to ignore available space. Sometime 95% of the files are already on the destination and we want to retrieve only files that have been accidentally deleted by skipping existing file. This is not possible unless there's enough available space for the complete restore
Makes scene - I'll discuss it with the team.
2) allow multiple selections within the same window when selecting what to restore; now the user is forced to add individually every single directory/file instead of being able to select all and then exclude; this can be time-consuming and frustrating.
Noted as an improvement request for the next versions. Thank you!
paruccone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alessandro Tiberti

Post by paruccone »

Hi Dima, and thanks for the quick answeer; the size estimation is absolutely right: that's a personal NAS that only I can access and know that there are 881GB in that folder, or at least 700GB, but not 300 ;) that said, the size of restored files varies depending on the restore, so there's definitely something missing. I've noticed that logfiles are huge because when restoring files, all the hierarchy (sub-directories) of the selected directory are listed.

Hope this helps clarifying a little bit. Looking forward to the log analysis and its outcome.

Alessandro
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the clarification Alessandro. Lets await for support team investigation results. Cheers!