Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Niroborn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Артур Хайрутдинов

Bare Metal Recovery from NAS fails

Post by Niroborn »

Greetings.
Currently I'm testing VA in our organisation for server transition purposes (and also for backup). I've installed test workstation under win7 pro for understanding of the procces. As repository i'm using NAS D-Link DNS-323 with 2 hdd of 500Gb in RAID1. Initially system is set on one physical drive devided into two partitions. The goal is to migrate test workstation to two physical drives corresponding to partitions using bare metal recovery with volume level restore job scenario.
The issue is that backup process goes well but when it comes to restore I'm constantly face error with "the specific network name is no longer available" message. Error appear at random process time. Some time first partition with windows restores and proceed to the second partition with data where it stops with error. Some time it stops at first partition restore.

First I've changed target storage to Lenovo ix4-300d with same result. Second I've tried to restore to the same hdd (formated before restore) with the same result. Next I've backup to the local storage but VeeamRE don't see it. Now I'm installing another test worstation with another hardware and planing to start with backing to NAS.

Support case ID 03745306
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare Metal Recovery from NAS fails

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Arthur,

Can you please check that nothing is blocking the connection between the machine your are restoring and your nas (i.e. no firewall or routing rules that might prevent you from running restore from remote repository)? Thanks!
Niroborn
Novice

Post by Niroborn »

Hello Dmitry, thank You for advice. I've attached test workstation with static ip and NAS to the standalone unmanaged switch and restore went seccesfull. Next I'll try to do the same in LAN with static IP on test workstation instead of DHCP.
Niroborn
Novice

Post by Niroborn »

The restore went seccesfull with static IP on LAN. Stops with error with DHCP turned on.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Arthur,

Sounds good. Boot Veeam Recovery Media while connected over DHCP and go to Tools > CMD and ping -t your NAS host name to check if there are any connection drops. Any chance NAS is sitting on DCHP as well? Thanks!
Niroborn
Novice

Post by Niroborn »

Thanks. I'll try it. NAS has static ip all the time.