Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Feature request? Parallel tasks in B&R

Post by jochot »

Hey,

I am currently installing the update 4b in my infrastructure.
On the backupserver itself I am logged in and startet the components update for remote offices, currently there is one server being updated relatively slow.
Now if I open the console on my PC, it pops up with the Component Update - same state as on the server.
Clicking on the console just shows the Components update window.
On this window I have 2 buttons, "Cancel" and "X", both do the same -> stop the component update.

I found myself in a similar situation several times now, and I don't get why veeam stops me from doing ANYTHING during specific tasks.
I mean I could easily change Job configs, update more than one server at once or do other stuff, but now I'm stuck, why is that?
Right now I don't know what tasks force me to stop other work, but it never seemed to make sense to me (some tasks I actually logged into the Server & started them from that console so I could have a 2nd console connection from my PC and work from that one, which shows the lock doesn't make sense whatsoever)
Additionally, there is now no way for me to close the Console on my PC without killing the process or stopping the update.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Feature request? Parallel tasks in B&R

Post by ejenner »

B&R&U

backup & recovery & update
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Feature request? Parallel tasks in B&R

Post by Gostev »

jochot wrote: Sep 04, 2019 4:38 pmI don't get why veeam stops me from doing ANYTHING during specific tasks.
Because otherwise, there would be waaaaaay to many bugs to discover and implement exception handling for. It just does not worth the effort - mainly because it adds minimum value to the product, considering that upgrades are fairly rare and relatively quick. We're talking may be 15 minutes every half a year, and sacrificing some fat major new feature in order to work on saving those 30 minutes of "UI down time" a year.

As a best practice, most customers schedule software updates for their maintenance window, where it is expect that the updated software will not be functional. I recommend you follow the same approach.