Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

Scheduling Question

Post by mwkirk »

I have replication setup going across a WAN Link for 3 VMs residing on ESXi 4.1 boxes. Originally, I had it set to do a push replication and from reading in the forums it seems that a pull replication is the more appropriate approach so I switched everything around to do pull replication and I am good there. I have these set for continuous replication so it takes probably 2 hours to get these pushed across the link then it starts again.

The one other requirement I have is I would like to get backups of these same 3 VMs to a local host at 7:00 PM every night to the backup server. I then have a Backup Exec Job come through and spin these to tape so they can get sent offsite. So, the situation I have is the two different functionds are stepping on each other. Ideally, it would be nice to have both instances of Veeam know about each other and be able to coordinate everything or alternatively have it so that no replications would start between say 5:00 PM and 9:00 PM in the evening to allow the backups to run. Is there anything that would allow for this type of flexibility that I am just missing??
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scheduling Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike,

Since your replication jobs usually take 2 hours, I would recommend switching to periodic schedule (every 3 hours) and configure another schedule via "Schedule" button on the right to disallow replication jobs from 7 pm to 8 pm (depends on the time required for the backup job).

This should allow you to control both replication and backup jobs schedule.

Thanks.
mwkirk
Influencer

Post by mwkirk »

Another thing that seems to have happened is I have it do incremental backups every night and then do a synthetic full on Fridays. This past Friday the process seems to have messed up the replication and it seems to be currently doing a baseline on everything in that is is recopying everything and not just the changed blocks. This was originally like a 72 hour process and it is still running right now...
mwkirk
Influencer

Post by mwkirk »

BTW I see the scheduling options to have denied times when I run it every couple of hours. If I can get the timing right this should work. It would be nice to have the denied hours under the continuous replication as well..
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mwkirk wrote:This past Friday the process seems to have messed up the replication and it seems to be currently doing a baseline on everything in that is is recopying everything and not just the changed blocks.
Multiple jobs running against the same VMs, cannot mess up CBT settings, it should be something different that caused this, anyway thanks for the feedback regarding continues replication scheduling settings.
bbeavis
Influencer
Liked: never

Scheduling feature request

Post by bbeavis »

[merged]

Please add the same permitted/denied schedule option that exists for the "periodically every:" selection to the "continuously" selection. I would like to replicate continuously during business hours and not have the job interfere with a scheduled backup job.

The concern is the potential conflict between a replication and backup happening at the same time.
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Douglas J. Butler

Post by Doug.Butler »

I also would like this feature (to be able to add "denied" hours to the schedule for a near-CDP replication job). I have had to change a replication from "continuous" to "Periodically" - set to "every 15 minutes" - in order to be able to configure "denied" hours on the schedule for the replication job, so that I can enable a nightly backup job that backs up this VM.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In v6, scheduling conflicts of near-CDP replication and backup jobs for the same VM are prevented automatically, as well as the ability to specify the available backup window explicitly is introduced.