Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jtbis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Bisaha

Veeam B&R Community Edition only allowing 5 VMs and 1 physical server before giving "license exceeded" error.

Post by jtbis »

I have a Windows 2016 Server that hosts 8 VMs in Hyper-V and would like to be able to backup all 8 VMs, as well as the physical server. I was under the impression that the community edition allows up to 10 VMs and/or physical devices to be backed up, however I am only able to back up 5 VMs and the physical server before the backup fails and gives a "license exceeded" error.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam B&R Community Edition only allowing 5 VMs and 1 physical server before giving "license exceeded" error.

Post by Gostev »

You can indeed backup up to 10 VMs or physical workstations. However, physical servers consume 3 instances each.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Veeam B&R Community Edition only allowing 5 VMs and 1 physical server before giving "license exceeded" error.

Post by jmmarton »

You could backup the physical server using workstation mode which will then keep you within the limit of Community Edition. Just keep in mind you'll lose some features such as Application-aware Image Processing, Indexing, and the CBT driver to name a few.

https://www.veeam.com/products-edition-comparison.html

Joe