Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Instant recovery powered off and removed my VM!

Post by lrhazi »

If you mount a disk from an instant recovery VM, into a second VM, then cancel the instant recovery (Stop publishing) , Veeam proceeds to power off the second VM and then unregisters it from vcenter.... ( am using restore from NetApp snapshot, but I assume it does not matter what the backup source is?).

Support says this is expected behavior and am not supposed to be using the instant VM for anything else... which kind of makes sense... but would you say this is the best Veeam can do? Would it not be safer to tell the user that Stop Publishing cannot proceed or at least warn the user before proceeding or something like that?

Case# 03753591
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Instant recovery powered off and removed my VM!

Post by Gostev »

Hello, and sorry to hear about some data loss that you have experienced.

It's fairly common use case to publish a disk from backup and attach it to another VM, there are a plethora use cases for that: scanning the content with some 3rd party tool, getting some files out in a more efficient manner, and so on. None of these use cases actually make any changes to the disk, or require them to persist. So, it makes little sense to preventing users from proceeding with unpublishing the disk, or annoy them with the warnings every single time they do this.

Also, please note that there are actually two options available right next to each other in the menu: "Migrate to Production" and "Stop Publishing". So, I would argue there's a very clear distinction already, where by choosing to simply stop publishing you're doing the opposite from persisting data to the production storage. And to be honest, I don't recall any other users confusing these two options (or what they do) before.

I do agree that your use case of "Instant Disk Recovery", where the desired behavior is to persist published disk changes, is a valid use case on its own. In fact, we've even added the dedicated wizard in v10 to simplify such recoveries. So, I believe that having the dedicated workflow available in the UI for what you were trying to do through IR workaround will help other users to avoid similar issues in the future.

Thanks!
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Hello Gostev. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and thanks a lot for the weekly newsletter!

Let me explain my use case and how I found this issue:
- A powershell script I wrote runs on nightly basis to perform a "db refresh"
- It starts an instant restore session, using a storage snapshot, of a VM: VM-A
- It then mounts few VMDKs from VM-A, into a target VM-B
- Some files are copied into the target VM
- VMDKs are unmounted
- Instant restore is concluded.

This all works great, except that sometimes we get alerts in the middle of the night about how we lost access to VM-B!

After a lot of digging in the logs, finally figured our how to reproduce the issue... Seems Veeam, as part of cleaning up from the instant restore, I guess, takes it upon itself to power-off any VM that happens to be using its storage? and then un-register them as well? Maybe this behavior should at least be documented? or is it already the case?

Thank you so much.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That would be unexpected, but I will ask QC to try and reproduce this...
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thank you!
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Any luck reproducing this issue? Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, QC has confirmed this behavior. Took a while because apparently it is specific to instant VM recovery from storage snapshots only, and does not apply to IR from regular backups. We're planning to address this issue in v10. Thanks for reporting!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Gostev wrote: Sep 10, 2019 11:07 pm I do agree that your use case of "Instant Disk Recovery", where the desired behavior is to persist published disk changes, is a valid use case on its own. In fact, we've even added the dedicated wizard in v10 to simplify such recoveries. So, I believe that having the dedicated workflow available in the UI for what you were trying to do through IR workaround will help other users to avoid similar issues in the future.
Just to avoid possible confusion, this new functionality in v10 will be available for regular backups only, not storage snapshots.
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thanks a lot guys!
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Hello! I just run into this issue again and realize we're running the latest v11. I guess bug was not fixed in v10 ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We did add the dedicated Instant Disk Recovery functionality from backups in v10, and from storage snapshots in v11.
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thank you sir. I will move to using the new feature.

Case# 03753591
jcdomni
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Daigle

Post by jcdomni »

Is there anyway to recover if the publishing was stopped? Server was being migrated in production and publishing was stopped thinking that the process needed to be restarted.