Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rcrussell78
Novice
Liked: never

Bare Metal Recovery console not loading on recovery key created

Post by rcrussell78 »

Good Afternoon,

I have opened Veeam Case ID # 03759972 for the issue I'm having but wanted to post here as well. I have created a Veeam backup of a Supermicro Model # B8DTT node with Windows 10 Enterprise on it. It previously had Windows Server 2012 on it. The problem I'm coming across is the Veeam recovery Key I created with the Veeam Windows Agent Version 3.0 isn't booting to the Bare Metal Recovery Console when I've tried creating it on Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows Server 2012. When booting to the USB key that was created by the Veeam software it boots up to the Windows 10 logo, processes for a few minutes, and then just boots to Windows Server 2012. The last troubleshooting step I did was try creating the Veeam recovery key in Server 2012 without the using the drivers but had the same result. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions with Veeam and the recovery keys in case I might be missing something in the way I'm creating this recovery key. Thanks for any assistance you can offer in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare Metal Recovery console not loading on recovery key created

Post by Dima P. »

Hello rcrussell78,

Can you please confirm that boot order in BIOS is set correctly and USB device is listed before system drives? Thanks!
rcrussell78
Novice
Liked: never

Post by rcrussell78 »

Removable devices are selected in the Bios I verified Dima and the node boots to the USB key on bootup as well. It's just not loading the Bare Metal Recovery console.
gonzo99
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by gonzo99 »

Which VAW version exactly?
What happens if you put an empty HDD in the system and let it boot from the USB stick?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks gonzo99, that would be a good test indeed. HDD is not even required - all the hard drives can be detached from the system and recovery media should work.