Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mxx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Backup Copy: same data to multiple destinations at once

Post by mxx »

Hi,

I've been searching the forums but haven't found a thread related to that.

I have a customer with 2 separate backup repos for copy jobs that should contain the same data.
They are located on the same site and have roughly the same performance.

You can only use one target / copy job unfortunately, so the only way to do this with Veeam seems to be to create 2 separate backup copy jobs that are exactly the same but with one pointing to storage repo A and the other pointing at B.

This seems to be a great waste of resources since the source backup repo has to be read twice, although it should be enough to read only once and use those data to write to both locations.

Is there a solution to this or am I missing something?
I was thinking about using DRBD or some other means to sync the 2 backup-copy data stores, but this seems to be overkill for this.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Copy: same data to multiple destinations at once

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I'm afraid that the only option would be to use two separate backup copy jobs for that, as you're already doing.

Thank you!
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

Thanks!

That's a pity... writing to multiple repos at once and reading the source only 1x instead of multiple times would reduce the load on the source as well as reduce the overall time needed.

Any chance for this to make it into a future version? It's hard to imagine that I'd be the only one who could use that feature in scenarios like the one mentioned above.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Cannot give you any ETA on this FR, however if you want to lower the load on the source, you can target your second backup copy job to the files created by the first job, should do the trick.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

mxx wrote:It's hard to imagine that I'd be the only one who could use that feature in scenarios like the one mentioned above.
Well, I think you're the first to post this request in 3 years that Backup Copy jobs existed, if my memory serves me well :D
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

That's too bad ;)

One location to store archives seems a bit risky at that client and they don't have an expensive reliable san, so we wanted to have all copy-job data on 2 separate locations (even though at the same local site).

It seems strange to me that this scenario isn't more common.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Typically, second copy of backups goes to tape or cloud, otherwise you end up with 4 copies of your data while still not meeting the 3-2-1 backup rule - due to all of them located on identical, writeable storage where they can easily be deleted by upset IT employee for instance.
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

Yes, but if you don't have tape but only 2x local storage for your long term backup storage the issue remains.
This doesn't keep you from using cloud backup.
Sascha.B
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Sascha.B »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Apr 22, 2016 3:47 pm Cannot give you any ETA on this FR, however if you want to lower the load on the source, you can target your second backup copy job to the files created by the first job, should do the trick.
How do I set this up ? I really dont get it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sascha, you can create two backup copy jobs. Source data for the first one will be backups created by a regular backup job. The source for the second backup copy job will be backups created by your first backup copy. Hope this helps!