Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
remosito
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

update 9.5.4.2615 to 9.5u4b failure

Post by remosito »

Howdie all,

wanted to do upgrade but it stops in the process with a "Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden" Error Window. The upgrade process window is at "Starting VeeamDeploySvc service..." with Green Bar maybe at 35%.

In the log I find the following:

Code: Select all

08:51:38.6882 Unregistering Wmi-server...
08:51:38.6912 Assembly: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.Core.dll. Class: Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.Core.CWmiInstaller. Invoke method: MsiUninstall.
08:51:38.6922 Wmi server path: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe.
08:51:39.2402 ******* EXCEPTION *******
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden
   bei HotFix.WmiSvcServerRegistrator.Invoke(String asm, String clss, String method, String wmiServer)
   bei HotFix.WmiSvcRegOperation.Invoke(String method)
   bei HotFix.WmiSvcRegOperation.Unregister()
   bei HotFix.HotFixOperation.Backup()
08:51:39.2402 ************************
08:51:39.2402 Performing rollback.
Both the WmiServer.exe and WmiServer.Core.dll exist in the file system.

Tried first with downloaded .exe updater. Then with updater exe contained in the iso in a sub folder.

Using the normal Setup.exe of the iso does not have an "update" option.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: update 9.5.4.2615 to 9.5u4b failure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
please understand that the forum does not replace support. Please contact support to help you.

Best regards,
Hannes
remosito
Enthusiast

Post by remosito »

I know. But sometimes somebody had the same or knows the fix because seen it before. Saves them support people some work.

So I usually try forums first. Give it a few hours. Then escalate to support.

Has the added advantage that if somebody else has the same issue in the future. Solution can be found via google. Going support is a black hole in that regard.
And google and forums work 24/7. Unlike support. So the next if doing it off-hours has a chance to fix it on the spot instead of waiting for next day. (Like me
last night)

(well unless it's a company I don't really like. Then it's support directly ;-) )
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

remosito wrote: Sep 12, 2019 7:58 amHas the added advantage that if somebody else has the same issue in the future.
Only if you include support case ID in your post ;) because vast majority of posters don't come back to post the solution, and without support case ID we cannot look one up and so help that "somebody else" later.

This is exactly why we require support case ID included with every post about technical issues, and remove topics which don't include one...

Thanks for understanding!
remosito
Enthusiast

Post by remosito »

I will include case ID and a short solution description. Unfortunately some services went astray this afternoon and had to fix that. So no time yet to contact support. Will do so tomorrow. Please no deleting this thread yet ;-)
remosito
Enthusiast

Post by remosito »

Support Case ID is D# 03763151
remosito
Enthusiast

Post by remosito »

update:

- even with support we never figured out what exactly the issue was
- some Veeam Modules (believe was Installer and Distributor) were on old versions. Indicating maybe January U4 update didn't run smooth.
- Deinstalling everything Veeam via windows program and features and trying a clean install fromm iso failed with the same error of "file not found".

at that point we had no more Veeam, Backups or Replications being made. and support recommended either reboot. or migrating veeam to another host.
Reboot is not really ideal right now so we opted for migration to new host via Veeam config backup and iso fresh install.

That worked pretty sweetly.

This ain't gonna help anybody much apart from "don't spend x hours on trying to fix it". Just move to new host if you can.
MattTheCaT
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt The_CaT

Post by MattTheCaT » 1 person likes this post

This Problem appears to be based on what I'd call a strange windows Bug.

If you check your Environment Variables from the Windows GUI it will show you your TMP & TEMP paths (which most likely exist and are valid)
in my case User variables were:
"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp"
And for the System variables were:
"C:\Windows\TEMP"

BUT!!! open a Command Prompt I suggest try it for both a normal & elevated shells
and type "SET" and check to see what REALLY come back as the values for the TMP & TEMP paths.
(I bet they are pointing to INVALID temp folders)

In my case for some reason my TMP & TEMP environment variables were both pointing too:
"C:\Users\ADMINI~1.NZA\AppData\Local\Temp\2"
So I just created that folder as a valid folder and BINGO Veeam installation now works
Maybe I could have updated the Environment variable in the shell to be the correct one.
but I don't know WHY it was different from the GUI anyway so I thought I'd just give it what it was looking for and be done.
lorenzone
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lorenzo

Post by lorenzone »

I confirm the problem is with the non existing TEMP folder.
In my case the operating system is Windows Server 2019, and the environment variables are set to "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2" that is not present.
I created the folder and now the update has been successfully installed.

Thank you for your suggestion.

(i also use to search the web for the problem before opening a case with the official support. Also this time I have quickly found the solution, thanks to other users posting their solutions...)