Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Backup Hyper-V cluster

Post by staun »

I am trying to find the fastest and yet best solution to recover from at complete breakdown on everything (HyperV hosts, backup servers - you name it.)

So far I got my backup infrastrukture in place in a DisasterRecovery scenario. But what about my HyperV cluster. Instead of reinstalling and reconfigure everything from documentation etc. I stumbled upon this KB : https://www.veeam.com/kb2463 - Backup of Microsoft Windows Server Failover Clusters.

I went through the guide and it seems to be working - backup of my HyperV hosts are succesfully.

Now before I trash one of my operational host-servers and do a restore of it via Veeam.... IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY... to restore a Hyper-V host in a Failover Cluster or the entire Hyper-V Cluster for that matter?? - I was not able to find the Restore Cluster KB :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Hyper-V cluster

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jørgen,

I'd suggest to try Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition 9.5 as it was designed specifically to protect virtual machines without the need to deploy and manage agents. The mentioned Community Edition is absolutely free and your can schedule the backup for 10 virtual machines without any license required and backup manually any amount of virtual machines via VeeamZip. Cheers!
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun »

I already have Veeam B&R enterprise and backup about 300 VM!?!? - I was looking for info on how to backup my host-servers and being able to restore them again in case I have lost our entire serverroom.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Are you running Hyper-V host on a cluster shared volume? Thanks!
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun »

Yes - four HyperV hosts with a shared cluster on a 3PAR storage