Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
PNSRMPL
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michal Raszkowski

Veeam licensing - "affiliate" (company)

Post by PNSRMPL »

Hello,

looking for answer regarding licensing Veeam in affiliate companies/entities - for example company A has ownership (over 50% shares in comapany B). Both companies has their respective VMware hosts managed by single vCenter in company A. We need to backup this enviroment.

What is the proper way to license Veeam ? (assume using same Veeam edition and covering all required workloads)
a) company A can/must buy licenses for all workloads (company A & B) ?
b) company A can buy licenses for their workloads and company B can buy licenses for their workloads, then install both licenses in one console/enterprise manager ?
c) it is treated as hosting scenario (hopefully not) ?
d) another answer

I search Veeam EULA and Veeam Licensing Policy but cannot find information about companies groups/affilliates/entities under common control. It will be very helpfull if there are any official Veeam document rearding this issue.

p.s.
For example
- Microsoft define affiliate: "..."Affiliate" means any legal entity that a party owns, that owns a party, or that is under its common ownership with a party...For purposes of this definition, “ownership” means more than 50% ownership and “control” means the right granted by law to exercise decision power over the administration, finances and operations..."
- VMware define affiliate: "...“Affiliate” means, with respect to a party at a given time, an entity that then is directly or indirectly controlled by, is under common control with, or controls that party, and here “control” means an ownership, voting or similar interest representing fifty percent (50%) or more of the total interests then outstanding of that entity..."

thx in advance for comments.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam licensing - "affiliate" (company)

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

To the most part, this question should be addressed to our legal/contract folks - your Veeam sales rep will be able to connect you.

I can give you an answer from the technical perspective:

If you want a single Veeam deployment, which it sounds like you do, then for sure it has to be the single license - as you cannot install multiple license file in one backup server/enterprise manager. Based on this, (a) is the only feasible option I can see.

I'm also aware of one recent support case where different business units of the same company each bought their own license (this was their preference from accounting perspective), and now admin of one of the business units (presumably responsible for data protection globally) is having an issue merging all these licenses into the single license file due to all business units being tracked as separate entities in Veeam systems. Which to me is another indication that (a) is the way to go.

And I'm fairly sure this cannot be classified as a hosting scenario, because based on your description, companies A and B are clearly not "3rd parties" to one another.
5mall5nail5
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: None

Re: Veeam licensing - "affiliate" (company)

Post by 5mall5nail5 » 1 person likes this post

Obviously Gostev would know best but having had this conversation with VEEAM previously when at a hosting provider/MSP, we had a client A who spun out to A and B, and the answer was A).