Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Restore files from Windows Server using the "Linux and Other" option

Post by CaptainPistache »

Hi everyone,

Can I safely restore files from a backup of a Windows Server using the options "Linux and Other" instead of "Microsoft Windows" ?
By safely, I mean mostly regarding the NTFS and/or sharing permissions.

The reason behind this is that the file level restore with the FLR Appliance offers the possibility to restore the files to whatever server I want but the standard restore with the Microsoft Windows option doesn't.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Captain
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore files from Windows Server using the "Linux and Other" option

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Windows to Windows file level restore respects the permissions stored in the backup while Windows to Linux does not (due to the difference in the permission structure). In both cases data is restored but you may need to setup the permissions on the files/folders manually once file level recovery to the Linux box is completed. Cheers!
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

Just to make sure you've understood my initial question.

I want to restore files from a Windows server to another Windows server using the FLR Applicance.
The only Linux server involved is the appliance itself.

Thanks.

Captain
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Restore to a different server will work only for Linux (there is no way to specify a windows machine there). You can use Copy to and restore to any managed server added to Veeam B&R console (both Windows or Linux).
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast

When I use the File Level Restore and choose "Microsoft Windows", it doesn't seem to have any option to Copy to another server except the backup server itself. Am I wrong ?

What I want to do is using the File Level Restore with the "Linux and other" options where I do have an option to copy to whatever server I want.
My question is : If I use the "Linux and other" option and the "Copy to" option to copy those files to another Windows server (not the original one, neither the backup server), am I going to have troubles with the NTFS permissions ?

Thanks for the time you take to answer me.

Captain
Dima P.
Product Manager

When I use the File Level Restore and choose "Microsoft Windows", it doesn't seem to have any option to Copy to another server except the backup server itself. Am I wrong ?
That's correct. File level restore for Windows platform can initiate copy to the host where Veeam console is running (that could be a remote Veeam Console as well).
If I use the "Linux and other" option and the "Copy to" option to copy those files to another Windows server (not the original one, neither the backup server), am I going to have troubles with the NTFS permissions ?
Original NFTS permissions will not be restored. Files and folders will get default set of permissions for system / admin / user groups once they are recovered.
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your reply.
I've got the answer I was looking for. I should use a Veeam remote console on the Windows server where I want to copy the restored files to. I didn't think about this possibility before.

Thanks a lot.
Dima P.
Product Manager

You are welcome. Another 'hack' that may help you to achieve your goal is Copy to restore option. You can type in the UNC path to the file share (which could be another windows server with the desired folder published over SMB). Cheers!