Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Veeam 9.5Up4a CBT Backup Free Space

Post by jimscott »

Hi,
This may sound on odd question but how does CBT with VMWare / Veeam handle deleted files and CBT. For example. I have a Drive (D:) in Server 2016 that had 110GB free. I downloaded 60GB for WSUS Updates to the D: drive. I then deleted all of these downloaded files and the free space went back upto 110GB free. The nightly incremental backup copied about 80GB of data from the D: drive... why was this? To my knowledge nothing much else has changed on this drive.

Any ideas?
Jim
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam 9.5Up4a CBT Backup Free Space

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for (VMware) CBT this is a changed block. So for every block based backup, these blocks are changed blocks. (actually it has nothing to do with CBT. It's only about block based backup)

But Veeam has "bitlooker": If you really deleted the files, and you used NTFS, then bitlooker should not backup that data. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

If all requirements for bitlooker were given, then I can only suggest to open a case to double check. If you do, please post the case number for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Post by jimscott »

Is it possible to see what blocks or files are included in a incremental backup. Just had the same thing happen again. Downloaded 20GB or new WSUS updates, delete about 20GB of older WSUS updates and Veeam transferred about 70GB of data on that drive. This is a lot more than I would have expected. Unless the WSUS cleanup tools change all the files in the WSUS folder and Veeam sees these as 'changed'.

Any ideas?
Jim
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I never tried it out myself, but this article might help you http://www.veeamhub.io/2017/01/backup-c ... ange-rate/

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jim, some hints can be found here.