Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

VM without replicas view/report

Post by ChrisGundry »

Is there a way to get a ideally a business view or of not then a report out of VeeamONE of the VMs that do NOT have replicas? My ideal goal would be a business view showing VMs with associated replicas and ones without replicas?

I have tried a few things and looked at various options and methods but can't seem to find a way...

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VM without replicas view/report

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Chris,
Your question made me do some tests as well.
Try to create a category with "Multiple Conditions" categorization method. And create a group with "Grouping condition" Replication RPO (Hours) != 0
It will create BV group with VMs having existing replica,
Thanks
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi Nikita

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried that:
CASE
WHEN ReplicationRPO != 0 THEN "VMs with replica"
ELSE "VMs with no replica"
END

But couldn't get that to work, but this did
CASE
WHEN ReplicationRPO > 0 THEN "VMs with replica"
END

I believe this is working correctly as all the VMs listed in 'VMs with no replica' don't have a replica and all those in 'VMs with replica' do have a replica.

I just need to work out how to exclude some things from it with & expressions as well. We have a lot of VMs that don't have replicas and that is by design, also replica VMs appear in this list because the replicas are not replicated. I need to find a way to exclude them based on _replica or something. It's been a while since I used the expressions, the new method is much preferred for us, but I can't seem to do it using that method because there is no 'else' option which is a shame.
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Sorted:

CASE
WHEN ReplicationRPO > 0 THEN "VMs with replica"
WHEN Right(Name, 8) = "_replica" THEN "Replica"
WHEN Left(Name, 6) = "CTXVDA" THEN "CTXVDA"
END

Still, would be nice if this could be done without using the expressions, but I can't see how without an 'else' option.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Chris,
method I described above doesn't require grouping expression. Have you tried it?
Thanks
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Yes, but that method only gives the VMs that have replicas. How do you then get the VMs that do NOT have replicas? As I said that is our objective here and that I would prefer to do this without using the expressions, but there is no option to do an 'else' as far as I can tell, and no other way to get the VMs that do NOT have a replica.

We want to do this because it gives us a view of the VMs that do have replicas, so we can see their replication status and other things like reporting on the VMs with replicas for BCP planning. It also allows us to see which VMs do NOT have replicas, so that we can evaluate if they need to be added to a replica job.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Option 1.
With grouping provided above, all VMs without replicas will be in "Uncategorized" group. Click on the group and then "Virtual Machines" tab to review all VMs. If you cannot see it in the Business View tree, check Server Settings > Business View

Option 2.
You can create groups based on replication jobs names. Group with conditions "Replication job name doesn't contain something all job names contain" will contain all VMs that are not replicated by Veeam jobs.
ChrisGundry
Veteran

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi Nikita

In that case I will stick with what I said as that gives us what we want, just having to use the grouping expression, which we don't like. But we feel it is better than the alternatives you have provided.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Up to you.
By the way, we are making grouping expression option more user friendly in upcoming release, so it's good you know how to use it.