Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dan.lebaron
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan LeBaron

SSD for Backup Storage

Post by dan.lebaron »

I am interested to hear if anyone is using SSD based SANS\JBODs for backup repos? Given the shear size of backups and restore speed limitations for large repos on spinning disk has anyone made the change to store their repos on SSD or is there some magic they found to get the spinning disk to perform for fast restores?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SSD for Backup Storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, more and more customers are doing it. The first one I heard with all flash storage system for instant recovery was in 2014. There are some storage vendors out there who position some of their all-flash systems as backup storage.

I have never heard it for large repos (PBs of backup storage), because it is still expensive and ReFS solves most issues. It always depends how many spinning disks you have. You will never get great performance out of a hand full of disks. But beyond 60 (one full sever / shelf) or some hundred disks, the systems can be pretty fast :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: SSD for Backup Storage

Post by nitramd »

Hello Dan.

For context, I've restored a 100GB VM for a colleague in slightly less than 5 minutes - backups stored on a RAID 6 array.