Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jewij
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jess Wijesinghe

Copy GFS retention job on disk to tape

Post by jewij »

I have GFS retention jobs that are running and currently stored on disk. I want to tcopy existing monthly and yearly files to tape, leaving just the weeklies on disk. I prefer not to use file to tape job if possible. I've tested with a backup to tape job and it only copies future backups. What's on disk already, doesn't get copied to tape. Is there a way to do this other than file to tape job?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Copy GFS retention job on disk to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jess,
I want to tcopy existing monthly and yearly files to tape, leaving just the weeklies on disk.
Unfortunately there is no way to exclude the specific backup files from the disk backup. You can either process entire backup chain or backup only the latest chain.
I've tested with a backup to tape job and it only copies future backups. What's on disk already, doesn't get copied to tape
I assume that you've selected to process only the latest part of the backup chain while setting up backup job thus the latest part of the chain was written to tape (excluding GFS restore points).

I have GFS retention jobs that are running and currently stored on disk.
Have you considered using GFS media pools (in such case GFS retention will be set for tape media you are using)? Cheers!
jewij
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jess Wijesinghe

Re: Copy GFS retention job on disk to tape

Post by jewij »

Thanks for the reply, yes. I'm using a GFS media pool for this. I did select "latest" chain when I setup the job that's probably why it failed to copy existing backup files.
I just created a new job to test with "All" as the selection, however it's not copying existing files. Comes up with "19/09/2019 1:37:53 PM :: No GFS candidate for Weekly media set was found for today, waiting" I set the weekly backup to Thursday which is today so it should run.