Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
riahc3
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John

Veeam backup (no snapshots) excluding certain files/folders on volumes?

Post by riahc3 »

Hello

I want to know if it is possible to make a backup of a volume on a VM but to exclude certain files and folders. Can't use snapshots either.

Thank you
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam backup (no snapshots) excluding certain files/folders on volumes?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if it's an NTFS volume, then you can exclude folders with BitLooker
Can't use snapshots either.
Which kind of snapshots do you mean? VMware snapshots? Windows VSS snapshots? And why is no snapshot possible?

VMware snapshots are required for backup with VBR. No way for real backup without VMware snapshots. The only alternative are storage replication mechanisms, but there you always replicate a full storage volume (no chance to exclude something inside a VM)

Best regards,
Hannes
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey John,

It sounds like if snapshots are an issue for your server(s), you want an in-guest backup like the Agents backups. Any time that we get a requirement to my team that we "must" make sure folder X or application Y isn't affected by the backups, we just do the in-guest backups instead. Less arguing and complaints from our systems team and apps team, and management is happy to see more green emails every day ;)
riahc3
Expert

Post by riahc3 »

HannesK wrote: Sep 18, 2019 5:28 am Hello,
if it's an NTFS volume, then you can exclude folders with BitLooker
It seems I cant do that if its a Windows Agent backup. Or at least I dont see the option. I see if if I backup a VMWare VM.
HannesK wrote: Sep 18, 2019 5:28 am Which kind of snapshots do you mean? VMware snapshots? Windows VSS snapshots? And why is no snapshot possible?
Sorry, no VMware snapshots not Windows VSS snapshots.
riahc3
Expert

Post by riahc3 »

soncscy wrote: Sep 18, 2019 4:21 pm Hey John,

It sounds like if snapshots are an issue for your server(s), you want an in-guest backup like the Agents backups. Any time that we get a requirement to my team that we "must" make sure folder X or application Y isn't affected by the backups, we just do the in-guest backups instead. Less arguing and complaints from our systems team and apps team, and management is happy to see more green emails every day ;)
I tried to setup a Agent backup but I cannot see where to make exclusions. Could you please point it out?

Thank you
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
my answer was for VMware backup. Please click on the link and scroll down to the screenshot ;-)

But if you cannot use VMware snapshots, then you cannot use Backup & Replication. May I ask why VMware snapshots are not possible?

For the agent: select file based backup, then you cannot miss it. Do you have standalone agent or managed by VBR?

Best regards,
Hannes