Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Zero byte Job success

Post by mattdwyerva »

Getting the dreaded Success email with 0.0 bytes backed up to tape. Tape job follows a disk to disk job, and when that job is done, summary says 968 GB Processed, 22.6 GB read, 14 GB transferred. If I try to run the job manually, it finishes in 2 seconds with same notes.

Should I open a support case for this? Looking back at earlier jobs this happened in past weeks at times with my weekend full backup as well. I recently (3 days ago) switched out a 2008R2 VMWare server for a 2019 HyperV one. So, this happened both before and after the switch.

The past is over, but I would REALLY like to get usable backups on tape, of course. And saying SUCCESS for 0.0 bytes is just silly, imo. At least it should say Iceberg ahead ...

I submitted a support case with logs, and limited to tape backup of the HyperV server disk backup (this week only) for the sake of clarity. #03772993
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Re: Zero byte Job success

Post by mattdwyerva »

Fyio, support sent me a fix required for "HP" tape drives (mine is a Quantum LTO actually) if using 9.5.4.2866, and this helped with one of 2 issues I had.

Second/main issue was that "success" of 0 bytes was because Veeam said the backup repository was not available (?), therefore it excluded the files I wanted on tape. Solved with a cold restart of server+tape drive. IMO, incorrect message about success. I made a note: ALWAYS CHECK BYTES TRANSFERRED. Good practice anyway since I sometimes define the tape job wrong and copy incremental when I want a virtual full for example.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Zero byte Job success

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matt,

Thanks for sharing your post and glad to hear that the issue was resolved so quickly. Can confirm that this is one of the known issues and we will include all the needed fixes into upcoming version of the product. Cheers!