Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Keishirou
Novice
Liked: never

VEEAM Deployment - Multiple Sites

Post by Keishirou »

Hello all, Tried to do quick search but I think everyone has specific questions or rather not sure if this has been asked or not.

We have multiple sites that have been set up differently (IE, West/Central vs East) and I want to see what is the best practice to setup VEEAM.

Currently we have Central and West sites set up as larger sites will have VEEAM BR box set up and the smaller sites have proxy's assigned to be the work horse on site.

East coast we have VEEAM BR boxes setup at each site with no proxy's.

I've just inherited all of this and fairly new to all of this, I was wondering which method is better, as if I go with Central/West if the main site goes down, then the local site will not have local backups \ Replication \ backup copy's vs East having a separate VEEAM box would at least ensure local backups.

Appreciate it!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VEEAM Deployment - Multiple Sites

Post by PetrM »

Hello!

"Central and West" deployment seems to be reliable because you have no extra Veeam B&R instances and each proxy works with its own smaller site.
"East coast" deployment is also possible however, from my point of view, it would be easier to have the single Veeam B&R server and a set of proxies for smaller sites
than to setup Veeam B&R on each site.

Anyway, for both of these deployments I'd suggest to follow 3-2-1 rule.
Remote replica from backup might help you to follow the mentioned rule as well.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And don't forget to protect your Veeam B&R instance by backing up its configuration - this way you would be able to fire up the new one in case the original one dies.
Keishirou
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Keishirou »

Thanks for the reply PetrM, so the single Veeam B&R server with multiple proxies would out weigh the multiple Veeam B&R servers?

I guess I can down the B&R servers over on the East coast.

Just wanted to see what's the best practice, Thank you.

I will keep that in mind foggy!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Rather, this is the question regarding the ease of management : do you prefer to deploy just one VBR server or multiple VBR instances?
Both of these methods can be reliable in different cases depending on the infrastructure specific.
I'm not sure you should redesign your "East Coast" deployment as long as you don't experience any issues, just make sure you don't forget about 3-2-1 rule.

Thanks!
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello everyone,

I have a follow up question to this - at the moment we have two sites, one in Europe, one in China. Both sites have independent ESX farms with independet servers on it. For now, both sites have their own Veeam installtion, completly seperated from each other.
Now we are about to upgrade hardware and software in the China site. In Europe, we have a Veeam Enterprise license. I already read multiple times, that it is possible to install a proxy in China, add the China esx to our Veeam license, and then control all backups from the main site. With console installed on the remote site proxy, we can also manage restores directly from there.
My questions:
  • will backup and restore still work if the VPN connection between the sites are down? How long can it be down until Veeam will get problems? I guess it will get problems, because the Licenses are installed on the main server.
  • what ammount of data will be transfered between VBR main site and the proxy (of course backup repository will be onsite, no backup data should go through the VPN)? We already had our VPN shutdown by the Great Wall of Fire when we tried to implement a backup copy from China to Europe...
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tobias
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tobias,
  • This is covered in this user guide section. Basically, remote console is able to maintain Veeam B&R components operation within a 5 minutes loss of connection to the main Veeam B&R server. It might also not be able to start new backup/restore tasks during that period if it needs to request anything from the main backup server.
  • Provided everything configured correctly, just the management traffic will flow between the sites.
Thanks!