Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rklowe
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Lowe

Specific backup to Specific Azure folder

Post by rklowe »

We are currently backing up servers to Azure blob storage. What management wants is to take a specific server, run a full back up job once a month and then send that back up to a different folder from the standard backup folder in blob storage. So instead of sending to the path VeeamBU/archive, they want to send the specific backup to VeeamBU/stats. Can SOBR tiering be manipulated to do so, and keep the other backups going as current and if so how do you do it? Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Specific backup to Specific Azure folder

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

It is not directly configurable. But as you seem have a separate job: you could create a second SOBR with a second storage account (in a different data center instead of folder on the same system maybe?) as workaround.

What is the idea of doing that?

Best regards,
Hannes
rklowe
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Lowe

Post by rklowe »

Thank you for your reply. It works. Although, it would be nice to have everything under one storage account. In Azure I can set the folders to move into archive/delete snapshot at different periods, which is what this particular job is about - management needs to have it in archive for 15 years (legal reasons) whereas the rest of the backups can be kept for 7 years. Just a thought going forward. If there are differing periods to keep backups (which we may be facing), what it means is that I need to have a separate storage account for each. It can be done, but it may get messy over time.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

hmm I understand your idea, but retention is managed in the backup software. not on the backup storage :-)

Just in case you are talking about Azure Lifecycle Management: this is not supported by Veeam

If I misunderstood you: for 7 and 15 years it would only be two storage accounts, or not?