Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
luke.clark@aptim.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke A Clark

Backup copy did not create monthly GFS

Post by luke.clark@aptim.com »

We had an issue that caused our jobs to freeze and not run properly the last few days in August. Our Monthly GFS job is set to the end of the Month, however, due to the freeze they did not process at all. Veeam did not pick up the following week as expected and create a GFS Monthly. I spoke with a Veeam representative and he suggested offloading the weekly (we run active fulls every week) to the cloud so Veeam doesn't delete it with our Retention Policy. My question is, is there a way to force it to give me the August Monthly? If not, it would be really nice to be able to take the Weekly and manually convert it to a monthly manually since they are active fulls. Case number is 03772969
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup copy did not create monthly GFS

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Luke and welcome to the Veeam community!

Can you share value of Restore points to keep in the backup copy job?
Also, if the "Read the entire restore point ..." is checked or not?

Important to know that GFS points are creating not on the day provided in the settings but when the full backup file will reach the day "X".

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Luke, answering your question - no, you cannot 'convert' a weekly backup to a monthly one.
luke.clark@aptim.com
Novice

I figured that was the case but can that be added as a future feature? Should be something that is possible since we do active fulls. Would be great if we were able to turn any of those in to Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly
luke.clark@aptim.com
Novice

Also, 7 restore points is how it is set. Read entire restore point is unchecked.

Retention is:

4 Weekly
12 Monthly
1 Yearly
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The way GFS works in backup copy is that even if the job hasn't run for some reason, it will still create GFS restore point during the next run. The fact is, as Dmitry has mentioned above, GFS points are not created right on the day you specify in the job settings, but only once the full backup in the regular chain reaches that point in time. Seems that this is not the case yet and the monthly full will be created later.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Piggy backing on this thread, we are in a similar situation where we are waiting for the previous chain to be transformed/sealed and a new chain to be created. We have our monthly set to 84 and everything else is set to 0 (monthly backup retained for 7 years). Is there anyway we can kick things off a full backup manually and not have to wait a month? Restore points to keep is set to 2.

According to this thread, sounds like if I click "sync now" 30 times, it'll simulate a month and then help create a new backup chain?
veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-copy ... 46791.html
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

And to add, this is a new backup copy job that was created about 10 days ago.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

wa15 wrote: Jan 04, 2020 6:42 pm According to this thread, sounds like if I click "sync now" 30 times, it'll simulate a month and then help create a new backup chain?
Nope, "sync now" will reset the backup copy interval, so the job will become ready to deliver a new restore point.

Thanks!